Sunday, June 29, 2008

Saying Goodbye. . .


is never easy to do. . .


My Joshua has a heart of pure gold, and it is such a joy to watch it grow as he does. But, just as I get a huge high from watching his heart full of love overflow onto his little brothers and me, I get a colossal low from watching his heart hurt when he has to say goodbye to those that he loves.


This weekend Pop and Grandma came for a quick visit. And, we all had a wonderful time, but this morning, ready or not, it was time for them to leave us. Joshua always puts up a good front when he says goodbye, but once the leaving party is out of sight, the tears begin to fall. As we watched Pop and Grandma pull out of the driveway, I could hear JCT in the background saying, "Goodbye Pop and Grandma!!! Have a fun trip!!!! Come see us soon!!! Have fun at your house!!!!" as he walked in circles in the middle of the driveway.
But, my heart and attention were turned toward the little red-headed boy hugging the basketball goal. When they were out of sight, Erik and Elijah walked quickly back inside. I stood waiting and watching, and JCT ran to get his toy lawnmower. Joshua stood frozen hugging the basketball goal, and I watched as tears began to fill his big green eyes. I walked over to him and began tickling his back. He didn't say a word. He just continued to stare with tear-filled eyes at the road that led his grandparents away from him. It was almost as if he believed by staring at the road that he could bring them back. I stood with him for a while, and then I went to help JCT. When I came back, Joshua was sitting on the sidewalk in front of our garage, face downcast.


I knelt down on the ground beside him and looked him straight in his teary eyes. I said to my son, "You love with all your heart, sweet boy. Not everybody loves like that, and that is a good thing - even if it means you hurt a little more sometimes. . . It is a good thing, and I love that about you."
I left him alone to watch the road, and eventually he made his way to the breezeway. At this time, Erik went out to sit with him and talk to him. . .
And, eventually, he did come back inside. And, I am happy to report that within an hour he was fighting with his brother over a lone dollar bill found on the kitchen counter. And, now, a few hours later, they are singing and playing. So, things are looking up!
Pop and Grandma, I just wanted to let you know how loved and missed you are!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

How precious. What a sweet and tender heart- that is the kind of boy who grows up to be a wonderful husband and daddy.

I'll bet after reading this post Grandma and Pop plan a return visit soon!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, what a sweetie. That first picture about broke my heart.

HW said...

It is never easy to see a magic moment end. Joshua's heart is in the right place - people over things.

I've just now caught up on your last few posts. The alone time with your children really struck me. Ours are teenagers and off to various camps at different times this summer. My husband and I have tried to have a special evening with the one remaining at home while his/her sibling is away; because it is so rare now that they are growing up.

And yes, kids remember the simple memories. When our daughter was 8 I took her to the American Girl shop. Now, at 14, she does not talk about the doll she bought or the play we watched or the photo session I splurged on. She talks about the conversation cards at our tea table and how we sat and answered the questions with each other. She remembers the time we sat across from each other surrounded by tiny sandwiches and scones, looked in each others' eyes and simply talked. Simply laughed.

You are creating sweet, magical moments with you boys.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet boy you have there! The pictures are priceless.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Oh, how precious and sweet. I just wanted to hug him after that first picture.

(BTW, I have a surprise for you on my blog tomorrow)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved