Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Our Little Getaway - 2008!

A week ago yesterday, Erik and I were kissing our sweet boys goodbye and heading off to spend a few days alone. (sigh.) We had a really good time, but I'm not sure we had quite as much fun as our offspring. The boys had a BLAST with Nana and Poppy!!! I'm not sure that they missed us at all! And, I am not even kidding! Our first night back home, Joshua literally cried himself to sleep because he missed his Nana and Poppy! Nana is vivacious and fun while Poppy is layed back and easy. Nana gets down on the floor laughing and playing with them. Poppy sits back in his chair and the boys bring him book after book to read. . . His voice is deep and soothing, and my boys adore him.



Anyway, last Monday, as Erik and I drove away from my parent's home in my mom's car (no car seats, kids, or extra bags of toys and books), I got a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. Even though I was looking so forward to time alone with Erik, something felt odd, wrong, and awkward. And, then, it happened.

The dam broke.

And, from behind my sunglasses, the tears began to fall. Erik smiled and seemed to be tickled by my little show of emotion. "Do you want to go back?" he asked. "No," I answered, "I just love them. That's all." Somehow my life has become wrapped up in those three little men. And, I'm not sure where one ends and the other begins, you know? They are a part of me, by golly, and I love them! I always think of myself as their constant. I am the one who never leaves. I get up with them in the morning, play with them during the day, and tuck them in at night. But, you know what? I guess they are my constants, too. My little constant companions. . . And, even though taking care of them requires selflessness beyond what I daily desire to give, taking care of them is something that I thrive on. . . It makes me better, grows me in more ways than I even realize.

And, that is one of the great lessons that I learned in being away from them. A little reminder for myself on the hard days. Even though it can be hard, monotonous, and stressful, there is nothing in the world that I would rather be doing with my life. Getting away was awesome, incredible, and refreshing, but coming home with a renewed sense of love and desire for my little men made the whole thing even sweeter!!



Now back to our trip. . . It didn't take long for me to straighten up, dry my tears, and have a bit of fun. I was introduced to the world of XM radio. I listen mostly to Veggie tales and Curious George, so I was completely enthralled with talk radio. Erik flipped from ESPN to Fox News to Oprah and Friends, and it didn't matter to me what station he had it on, I was mesmerised. I hung on their every word. I learned things. I was entertained. I laughed. It was quite wonderful, really. I even enjoyed the sports radio shows - which is what we listened to the vast majority of our 3 hour drive.

Erik kept asking me if I was okay. And, if you know me, you know why he was asking. The only times when I am quiet is when something is terribly wrong. I am never quiet in cars or restaurants or at home, anywhere really. I kept reassuring him that nothing was wrong - I was just really enjoying listening to the radio. I'm not sure he believed me because he continued to ask me over and over until we arrived at our destination!


Other than the drive time, where I was completely immersed in talk radio, the rest of our trip was filled to the brim with coffee, ice cream, and invigorating conversation! We talked about everything from marriage to parenting to work to friends to travel to character issues - we covered the full spectrum!! What else can I say, it was great to be alone with my best friend! I love my Erik, and I am so thankful for him! The bulk of our conversation revolved around raising 4 boys - the challenges we'll face, decisions we need to make, etc. It is so refreshing to get away and just talk about our life, our family, the direction we are headed in, the journey we are on, where we are today, where we want to be tomorrow, what lies ahead on the horizon, what steps do we need to make to prepare them, to prepare ourselves. . .

It was sweet time. Thanks Nana and Poppy for making it all possible!! May God reward you richly in heaven!!!

Now a few pictures from our pit stop on the way to Nana and Poppy's house Memorial Day weekend. We stopped at a zoo located in between our small town and Nana and Poppy's city. Great fun!

God gave Erik and I a special little surprise when we pulled into the zoo. An exhibit that we visited on one of our very first dates (the Butterfly Exhibit) had come back to the zoo permanently. I told him that this was definitely a sign that we were going to have a special trip!! So, we took the boys in, and they enjoyed it as much as we did. I remember Erik and I, young and in love, sitting on a bench in the butterfly exhibit years ago just watching all the butterflies fly and land all around us. Ahhhh, the romance. . . .

Needless to say, it was a bit of a different experience with 3 boys. They were more interested in running and chasing the gentle, beautiful creatures!!




Erik went to Africa on a Medical Mission trip the last semester of his final year of Med school. He brought me back an African painting of two giraffes with their necks twisted together. He told me that it reminded him of us. So, when we saw two real giraffes with their long necks intertwined at the zoo, I told him, again that this was another sign that we were going to have a special getaway!! God was in this thing!!!! How sweet of Him to give us these sweet little symbols of our love on the eve of our time alone!





Okay, enough about Erik and I!! The boys had a blast, as always, at the zoo!!

Here they are checking out a swimming polar bear!


They could have stayed there all day just watching the polar bears swim laps. . .


But, we moved on to the more fast paced and fancy swimming sea lions!



And, here is Elijah waving to an elephant!!! He was so excited! He kept waving and saying, "HEY!! HEY!!! HEY!!!"


But, the highlight of the zoo trip had to be the Hippos. We happened to come by their home at feeding time! The boys had a blast watching the zoo-keeper feed the hippos half a watermelon. They ate the entire thing in one huge hippo bite!! Joshua still talks about this from time to time! By the way, did you know that their heads can way up to 500 pounds? Amazing!


This is what I would like to be doing right now. . .


A fun time had by all - kiddos and adults!!!

7 comments:

Jackson said...

Where did you guys go???

Deidre said...

I totally understand the 'dam breaking' thing. I went through the same thing. Now that we're all home together again, and even though we had a great time, I told Eric I do not want to leave them again anytime soon. I just can't stand it. That's so weird, right? I don't mind a movie night once in awhile, but 3 days away nearly killed me :)

HW said...

I'm thrilled to see young couples go away for weekends. When our kids were little, we went on a weekend getaway every 3 months, leaving the kids with grandparents. We all have great memories of those weekends.
I can so relate to what you wrote about not knowing where your children stop and you begin. We are two years away from college for our son; four for our daughter. I worry that I will be just a shell when they leave home because they are such a part of me. But then again, I realize that my husband and I are going to have such fun that I feel a little better.
I'm glad you had such a wonderful time.

Manda said...

I'm so glad that you and your husband got away for a few days! Hubby and I are headed to the beach tomorrow morning for our anniversary/babymoon. We're counting down the hours! Also, I'm excited that you're going to have a pool to spend lots of time in while you're pregnant this summer. I've been trying to find a pool, but I've had no luck yet.

Valerie said...

Sounds like you all had a great trip!! Great pics too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

So beautifully written. I loved how you put the perfect words to how you felt when leaving your boys. I'm glad you had a nice vacation with your husband.

Susan said...

Oh I remember my "dam breaking" on more than one occasion. Boys do that to their Mamas! It's hard. But sweet. It's so good that you all got away. I am a firm believer that this makes us better Moms and Dads when we get back together again.

Blessings.

Susan


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved