Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mama's Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

First Bowl: Cream * 3/4 cup margerine
* 3/4 cup shortening
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
(* I actually just use 1 1/2 cups butter instead of the 3/4 cup and 3/4 cup! Oh, and I use my kitchen aid mixer bowl for this part and set it on the stir setting to mix it up!)

Next Bowl: * Add 1/2 tsp baking soda to 3 egg yolks.
* Add 1 cup sour cream to egg yolks.
* Add 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
* Add shortening/sugar mixture to sour cream & egg yolks.
(I just use a regular medium sized bowl for this mixture)

Last Bowl: (I actually go back to my kitchen aid mixer bowl that I just emptied for this!)
Sift: * 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt
* all purpose flour (I start with 3 cups)
* Add cream mixture to flour mixture
* Continue adding flour until you get a dough that you can work with and roll out.
Flour your surface and roll to about 1/4 inch thickness and have fun cutting out cookies. This works best if you have little hands that love to use cookie cutters!!!!

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

The icing we use is a simple mixture of powdered sugar and water. Just get it to a spreadable consistency. Then use sprinkles and have fun!! This again works best when you have little hands that love to generously sprinkle sprinkles!!!! Have fun!! And, enjoy!

3 comments:

Lori said...

These sound delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. We'll have to try these very soon. Have a blessed day!

picturesofhisgrace said...

Thank you, Erin, for sharing the recipe. The kids will love making these. Hope you guys are doing well. Miss you!

Jill said...

These are without a doubt the best sugar cookies ever. We made a batch on Saturday and decorated them with all the frosting and sprinkles we could.
Yummy.
I am not a baker. These were so easy to roll out and the look so pretty all decked out.
If only we had kept more of the cookies for Christmas and not eaten them this weekend.
Might have to make some more.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved