Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Afternoon Crafting. . .

About a month ago, I was really struggling with the hours between the time I pick Joshua up from school and when Erik gets home from work (3-6). The boys would get so wound up, so loud, so borderline out of control that I decided I either needed to make a plan to keep them busy during these hours or make a plan to escape my own home.

I decided to make a plan to keep them busy.
Good thing, huh?
I decided to have them come in from the van and sit at the table while I prepare them a snack. Then, they eat, and I read a chapter or two to them from a book. After this, I help them do a project. I try to prepare a little something before we pick up Joshua. We have done peanut butter playdoh. And, sometimes we do regular playdoh. I have done something as simple as printing out snowman coloring pages off the Internet for them to color. My mom has been helping me by emailing me ideas that she finds through blogs! A couple of our more fun activities have been. . .
Ice cream cone Christmas Trees. . .
Lijah spent more time eating his icing than he did icing his tree. . .
Working hard. . .


Decorating their trees. . .


All done!

JCT's has a smiley face on it! Can you tell?
Another day we made salt dough ornaments, and then the next day we painted them. These were super fun for me because I made them as a child! Happy memories! Here are a couple of our masterpieces. . .




After we finish our little craft, it is usually time for me to begin making dinner. So, I usually send the boys upstairs to play while I go to work. . .
I love this little afternoon schedule because it allows me to be part of their play and it keeps them from getting soooo wound up! Although they are boys, and you cannot suppress a little boy!! They are full to the brim with energy and joy, and that is as it should be!!

1 comment:

HW said...

I always kept a supply of lunch sacks on hand to make puppets. Also paper plates and craft sticks are handy for puppets and masks.
We always enjoyed craft time when our kids were little.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved