Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Summer. . .

So here I sit sipping a homemade Chai latte while the beautiful sound of distant thunder rumbles in the background. I have been longing for a rainy day for several weeks now. I am so ready for fall it is crazy. I'm done being hot ~ completely over it! Bring on the cooler temps!

We had a great weekend! I like to think of Labor Day as a chance to say goodbye to summer. So, we grilled out and had a picnic dinner. The plan was to have a pudding fight/dessert after dinner. Doesn't that sound like fun? Well, it wasn't. The boys were tired, due to lack of naps and a full day, so what could have been a blast, was not at all what I had hoped. In fact, we had to postpone the pudding fight until this coming weekend because no one (except Erik and I) ate their dinner. There was a good bit of crying, fussing, whining, wailing, and gnashing of teeth over a variety of silly, insignificant things. So, Erik and I transformed into a superpower duo and bathed, read to, sang to, and tucked in four little boys in record time. And, when I came downstairs after kissing them for the last time, Erik and I made eye contact and smiled. Then, he let out a huge sigh, and we laughed for a few minutes. It had been that bad if you know what I mean. And, we were ready to be alone. I'll tell you one thing, parenting together will bond you like nothing else. I can't imagine doing this without him. So, after all the babes were finally asleep, we sat curled up on the couch together watching the FSU/Miami game, and all was well in the world.
A few memories from earlier in the day. . .

Here we are at Chick-fil-a eating our free chicken sandwiches!!!

And, the boys wanted to have another pie war! So, we made whipped cream pies and let them fly!!!! Here are my sweet boys. . .




I love, love, love holidays! I just wish they lasted a little longer than one day!!!!
I am learning that having four children six and under can be tricky. Going places and doing fun things is not easy. It is a challenge. But, about a year ago Erik and I had a big discussion, and we decided that we were not going to let that stop us. We decided that we were going to go on and do fun things even if it is hard. We want them to have super-fun memories. I don't think, or at least I hope and pray, that they won't remember that at times we were super stressed or super tired. I am hoping that they will simply remember the fun things we did! We'll see!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Erin,
I am so amazed at your ability to have a good day in spite of the tremendous loss your family has so recently experienced. I'm not sure how you do it, how you are so able to focus on and truly feel what is good in the world. Your capacity for joy is a true inspiration. :-)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved