Sunday, July 04, 2010

A Good Old Southern Small Town Tradition. . .

If you know me very well, then you know that I am a small town girl. I realize that it is not for everyone, but it works for me! And, I think my boys kind of like it, too. There is something to be said for the closeness of small town life. And, our town's fourth of July parade celebrates all that American small town life is meant to be. It is like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting ~ families getting together to ride, stand, watch and wave. You don't have to sign up to be in the parade. You just show up with a 4-wheeler, golf cart, go-cart, gator, tractor, truck with trailer, bicycle, or horse ~ decorated in red, white and blue. It is a social event, but more than that, it is truly a celebration of what America is all about ~ a country of brothers united ~ and cousins, aunties, mamaws and papaws. . . Good old Southern America!!! Does it get any better than that???

Here are my boys before the parade in the eagle shirts we made. NO, they are not turkeys. They are eagles!!!! (I admit, they do kind of look like turkeys :-))
This is the trailer Joshua, JCT, and I rode on during the parade. . .

And, here are my little patriotic men. . .

And, here is Daddy waving to us from a friend's front yard. . .

JCT and his one of his little friends. . .

After the parade we all meet in one place for lemonade, cookies, the pledge, and the singing of the national anthem. So fun to think that this whole parade began with three kids walking up and down the street with a few pots and pans. And, now it is a long standing tradition! Here is a member of our local Boys and Girls Club singing the national anthem. . .
It is always a great way to kick off a wonderful holiday!!! Happy fourth of July to you!!!!

1 comment:

Jackson said...

On our way to the lake Saturday which is only 30 mins from our house.. we stopped in Cave Springs for the same kind of event u just posted. 4 wheelers, horses, bikes, homemade ice cream... good ole Americana!!!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved