Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Field Trip to Mud Island

We packed up the car and headed to Memphis this past Tuesday morning for our first official field trip. . .
My sweet sister went with me to help me with the little boys! The big boys are studying the Mississippi River in geography at Excelsior, so several families from our group met in Memphis for a fun little field trip! We had such a good time ~ especially because Aunt Kristin came along!!! The boys cheered when they found out she was coming!! Aunt Kristin has a ton of experience with kiddos (8 of her own), so they always enjoy being with her!! I enjoyed the adult company on the 45 minute drive from her home to downtown Memphis and back, and I appreciated the fact that she knows her way around a part of Memphis that is completely unfamiliar territory to me! She was a big help!

The Mud Island Museum was great ~ so much better than I expected. They even had an Elvis room, and you know that made my oldset son happy! But, by far the best part of Mud Island is the 5 block long replica of the Mississippi River. It was so fun!! Kristin stayed with Erik Daniel, and I watched James Christofer and Elijah. Joshua went ahead of us with some friends and his geography teacher, Mrs. Laura. We walked the entire river from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico. Beginning the journey. . .

Guess who had the most fun. . .

You guessed it. . .
Eriky!

In the picture below the boys are walking in a replica of New Orlean's Lake Ponchatrain. They were all four holding hands, and it was so cute. Only lasted a second, but it was so cute!!
They got quite wet. I thought about lining them up from most obedient (dry) to least obedient (soaked), but I decided that the completely soaked ones who by the end decided to swim in their clothes, much to their mother's chagrin, would not have appreciated the picture. So, I refrained. If I had taken the picture this little man would have been third in line of obedience! :-)

Checking out a map. . .

Here is a picture looking down on a portion of the replica river!
We had so much! The weather was so nice, the kids behaved well, and I had an extra set of very experienced hands! A good day! We will go back again, no question!

2 comments:

Manda said...

Let me know next time you're in Memphis, Erin. I would love to see you -- and would be happy to help with the kiddos!

Anonymous said...

so glad you had a great time! i don't homeschool, but my hubby and i took our kids out of school for a little field trip to learn about the Johnstown Flood and the Horseshoe Curve, the 8th engineering wonder of the world! it was so much fun!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved