Tuesday, October 07, 2008

He's Come a Long Way, My Baby. . .


I was driving home from my 6 week post partum doctor's appointment when I received the call. I didn't recognize the number, but it was local, so I answered it. It was Mrs. W, Joshua's teacher. My heart sank. What could it be? What could be wrong? Is he sick? Did he get hurt? Is my boy crying? Immediately upon hearing her voice I asked, "Is something wrong?"

Laughing she answered, "Oh, no, I have good news. Joshua wants to tell you something. Here he is." Then, she handed the phone to my sweet son who said in a very quiet and rehearsed voice. . .

"Mommy. . . Mommy. . . I'm the student of the month for all of kindergarten." Then with a little help from his teacher, he added, "They took my picture, and I got a t-shirt. . ."

Student of the month. . . my son. . . for the whole kindergarten. . . that's 6 classes. . . over 100 kids. . . my baby. . . student of the month. . . wow!!! One month ago I never would have dreamed. . .
My heart was bursting with pride! Bursting. . . at the seams! Is this the same little boy who sat with the teachers during recess in preschool? Now he has friends, and he is having so much fun!!

But, who could blame the kid ~ Kindergarten is great fun! He is really enjoying this year! Take for instance last week. . . On Monday a friend of ours spoke to the kindergarteners about being a dentist and let them clean a dinosaur's teeth with a large toothbrush. On Tuesday his Daddy came and talked to them about being a doctor, and he brought fun medical equipment for them to play with ~ not to mention Sammy the skeleton who was a big hit with the kids! On Wednesday our neighbor and Mrs. W's husband came and talked to the kindergarteners about being a coach and a principal. And, on Friday Joshua got to do something he looked forward to all week. He got to ride in a big yellow school bus for the first time! They went on a tour of community helpers ~ firehouse, police station, etc. So fun! Then, today they are making milkshakes for their snack time. And, a few days ago Mrs. W. sent a note home asking me to bring 16 individually wrapped packs of M&Ms. She said that each student would open his bag and separate the M&M's by color, then count how many they have of each color, graph their individual bag, and when all that is done, they will eat them!! Does kindergarten not sound like so much fun! I want to go!!!! It is no wonder he likes school! And, I am so thankful!

Anyway, I was so excited for Joshua's little honor that I got balloons from our local florist and made cupcakes to celebrate! Here are a few pics of my big boy!

Being silly. . .



Here he is with Sammy the skeleton. Joshua loved the skeleton so much that he asked his Daddy to bring it home, and now Sammy resides in my kitchen. Oh, goodie!




In his t-shirt eating a cupcake. . .



His brothers par-caking. . .



It was so fun to celebrate Joshua's success. He even ate his dinner on our family's red special plate. It was a special day for a special boy. But, as I tucked him in his bed, I asked him to look me in the eyes. Holding his face in my hands and looking him in the eyes, I told my sweet boy, "I don't need a silly award to tell me that you are a special boy. I knew you were special the first time I layed eyes on you. You are precious, student of the month or not. I love you, and I am proud of who you are, of who God made you to be. "

Here is the poster Mrs. W. asked me to make so that she could hang it in the kindergarten hall at school! Making this poster was so fun! It allowed me a moment to reflect on memories from this past year! What a fun year we've had!! I hope that when Joshua is all grown up he will have as many happy memories of his childhood as I do!

6 comments:

Keyona said...

That's such a great accomplishment. You should be proud.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

How wonderful! But, the best part of reading that was reading how you told him he was special even without the award. I'm always trying to remember to tell my children how much I love them, especially at times they might not be at their best.

Way to go!

Messy and Wonderful said...

AWWWW, I'm beaming with pride and I don't even know you guys personally! By the way, what a great mom you are with your bedtime chat. His award is a reflection on your parenting. Good job mom!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

That is so, so cool Erin!

Sarah said...

Erin, I didn't know you have a red plate too! I should've known you would, though--you always do the sweetest things! We had one growing up, and now all three of us have one for our own families!

And I thought of you this morning, sweet friend, when I opened up Elisabeth Elliot's "Keep a Quiet Heart." It always reminds me of going to see you in Chattanooga with Jen! Such great memories!!

Kim said...

What a special moment and a encouragement! So glad his year is going great :)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved