Monday, November 27, 2006

A few memories and thoughts from our weekend

This is a good morning. . . there is nothing we have to leave the house for right away, Fernando Ortega is singing hymns to me, a hot cup of coffee is sitting beside me, and my sons are playing together (for the moment) in Joshua's room (which means I am alone in the kitchen - for the moment). So, here I sit with my heart pondering memories and thoughts of the past few days - happy and sad. If only Erik could be off for another week!! But, I take what I can get of him, and I am thankful for every moment!!

We spent Thanksgiving at my parent's home in Arkansas. Something about that flat farm land does something to me. You can see for miles on end. To most who pass through the state, it is quite boring, but to me it is rich with memories. Nothing is quite as beautiful as watching the sun set over one of those flat fields of grain. The longer I go between trips home, the more the landscape moves something deep inside me. Wide open spaces, God bless them!

I got to spend some time with my mom, who I love and admire so much that I would have to write 5,000 posts to give her due credit. I realized as I discussed our renovation plans with her that her opinion means more to me than probably anybody's - except maybe Erik's. And, though I did not get as much time with her as I would have liked, it was still rich and good time. And, my daddy, I always love to get to see him, too. And, as usual, my boys fought over who got to sit in Poppy's (my daddy) big brown chair with him.

My parents gave Kelly, Cecilia, Erik, and I a night out without children!! Very fun! Kelly's hair is beginning to grow back in, and Cecilia looked RADIANT. I can't emphasize that enough. She is so beautiful, and her face was glowing. She looked adorable, complete with bandana on head!

To me the very best part of the holiday season is getting to watch family interact. My brother always lays on the floor and plays with my boys, and they adore him for it. He had JCT laughing so hard, that it brought tears to my eyes! Peyton and Avery (Kelly and Cecilia's girls) stole my sons' hearts once again. My boys love them so much!! Yesterday over and over Joshua would say sadly, "I want my Peyton."

I'll never forget how hard Peyton and Avery laughed when my boys streaked through the kitchen after bathtime. Or, how hard I laughed when Joshua looked seriously at my mom, who normally wears contacts, and said, "Nana, you look kind of dangerous in your glasses."

And, for the most sad memory of the weekend. . . We left Joshua's favorite stuffed animal (a stuffed dog named Rain) and his silky (his blanket) at Nana and Poppy's house. You must realize that he has never (to his memory) slept a night without these two. So, there were some genuine tears at bedtime Saturday night, and that nearly broke his mama's heart. But, baby bear and a silky shirt of mine stepped in and attempted to fill silky and Rain's spot. No tears were shed last night, so I think we will make it until the mailman brings them safely home to us.

All in all, the little trip was a much needed vacation from our present state of craziness. Yesterday morning Erik and I slept in - well kind of. . . Our bed (here at the rent house) is a matress on the floor. So, we stayed in bed, drifting in and out of sleep, while the boys played all around us. . . and on us. . . but, it was rest all the same. And, I was able to lay there, basking in the morning sun, feeling the sweet one inside me toss and turn, listening to the laughter of my boys, and holding the hand of the one that my soul loves! I am so thankful for the break Thanksgiving gave to my family. I feel refreshed and ready to get back at it! Concrete floors, mantles, and columns - here I come!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your family had a nice Thanksgiving! It sounds lovely! Rest is good!

We will,also, be doing some minor remodeling(adding on) on our 5 year old house soon...so I am getting geared up for that....we are just adding a bedroom and bathroom upstairs for our oldest daughter to make room for number 5 downstairs....we will be living in the house while they do it(they will just be upstairs,while we all are down stairs,but hopefully it will be a pretty quick thing....I doubt it,though. I don't really like people in our house. They were supposed to come today,but noone has shown up yet....hmmmm....we are not off to a good start.

Also,I just ordered some peppermint mocha coffee mate from Ebay! I remember your rec for this and thought that sounded so divine! I could not find any anywhere around,so Ebay came in handy. The shipping hurt,though!

Thanks for rec and have a wonderful day!

Sara said...

Glad you had a fun time in Arkansas. I miss it. Always fun to hear about your family-I feel like they are part mine. Love you.

Ivey's Mom said...

Glad to hear you had a great holiday. Right now I have a moment. Both of my boys are supposed to be taking a nap. However, in unison they are saying momma, i.m. a.w.a.k.e!!!!
I guess I am supposed to get up and do something about it....
So-hope you have a great day; that coffee sounds great.

I'll take Arkansas, being a southerner and all.

Big Mama said...

Sounds like y'all had such a nice Thanksgiving. I'm glad to hear that your sister-in-law was looking well.

And the part about Joshua telling your mama that she looked "dangerous" cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was a truly magical Thanksgiving holiday. I cannot wait until my children have cousins to play with too. It sounds divine!!

Linda said...

There is nothing like being with family. I'm so glad you had this wonderful respite. I felt much the same way as I sat and listened and watched the utter "chaos" of seven grandchildren all talking and laughing at once; daughter and daughters-in-love chattering away and sons and husband and father all just sitting back and relaxing. Three generations - a house full of love and warmth. You're right - it is just the best.

Michelle said...

I wish my DH was home this week as well...then I would probably wish him home next week, and the next...but I digress. Your family sounds lovely and such a blessing beyond measure. I understand about the land of home moving you, I feel the same for the mountains. Anytime we have lived away from them I could feel longing to see them well up inside me. Thanks for sharing a wonderful peek into your family.

Anonymous said...

Praying Rain and Silky make it home soon for little Joshua. Sounds like you had a wonderfully blessed time, and I'm thankful you got to spend time with sweet Cecilia and her family.

love, calissa

Deidre said...

There is absolutely nothing like being with family! I'm so glad to hear you had a nice and restful Thanksgiving. But, welcome back, I've missed you!!

Thanks for the update on your sister-in-law. I always like to hear how she is doing. I pray God continues His divine healing!

Anonymous said...

Reading the part about the "sweet one" in your belly made me miss that part of pregnancy--but not badly enough to do it again:)

I'm so glad you had a good time, and that Kelly and Cecilia are doing well!

Jennifer said...

What warm thanksgiving memories...and Fernando singing hymns while sipping coffee sounds like heaven to me! I am so glad your sis-in-law is doing so well...and as for the bittersweet time with hubbies off work, I know the feeling. We had Daddy for a whole 4 days and watching him go back to work was HARD!

Melissa Stover said...

i love that dangerous comment. that's hilarious.

i live in arkansas too. home sweet home!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved