Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mommy is out. . .

and Daddy is in! What is up with that?? Who I ask you. . . Who stays home with them all day - looking after their every need? Who carried them for 9 months, then gave birth to them - feeling every contraction, pushing them out with her own strength. Yes, Erik stood at the end of the bed cheering me on, and yes, he did actually deliver them with his hands - but still - my job was slightly more difficult. . .

But, after all this both my boys are choosing Daddy right now. I had to listen to Joshua cry for several blocks last night because he wanted Daddy to drive him - not Mommy. (Erik was following us in his vehicle.) Then, when we got to the rent house, I didn't dare get Joshua out of his carseat - I knew better. I let his Daddy get him out. I went to James Christofer, my baby, and offered my arms as an alternative to his very confining carseat. His response - "NO, Daddy get me! Daddy get me! NO, Mommy." So, I put my tail between my legs, grabbed the diaper bag, and walked the lonely walk from the mini-van to the back door. Every step, I grumbled beneath my breath all of the sacrifices I make each day for these two boys - only to be cast aside at 5:30 when Daddy comes home. True martyrdom, or so it felt at the time.

Ohhhhh, I jest, a little. . . I am truly glad that my boys have a father who turns his complete attention to them when he comes home. A father who loves to wrestle, play, and cuddle with them. . . And, I am assuming that this is all normal, well, and good considering that they are males and their father is a male, too. I think I recall Dr. Dobson saying that this is the natural progression of things. We should want our boys to be drawn to their daddys. And, mine are, so all is well. I do, however wish that someone ( For some odd reason, the name Sarah just came to mind. . .) would write a glorious book on the role of mothers in raising boys. I truly find this all quite humurous, and I am very thankful that my boys love their sweet Daddy. And, I am even more thankful that they have a Daddy who sets a wonderful example of a godly man for them to follow.

But, I must add this. . . At bedtime last night, they both cried because they both wanted Mommy to hold them during prayers and singing. So, maybe I haven't fallen too far from glory. . .

9 comments:

Linda said...

What a sweet post Erin. I think it's a blessing that they love their Daddy so much, but I can tell you from the perspective of quite a few years there is a special bond between mothers and sons that can never be replaced by anyone else. I think you saw it last night :-)

Deidre said...

Such a sweet post, Erin.
I'm going through the same thing with my girls. As soon as Eric walks through the door, I am history. It must have something to do with the endless playtime they get with their Daddy and trying to soak up every second he's with them. But, when they get hurt or sick, only Mommy will do!
Oh, and thanks so much for praying for us. I really covet your prayers. All is well and he is accepting the new job. He will start in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

thank you for your comment. the first words you said meant SO much... you have no idea. I'm so tired, Erin. Thank you for praying.

Michelle said...

LOL, as another Mom who has children who all have Daddoration to an extreme extent I can so relate! They (all 3) love him dearly and he is the best treat in the world. Glad your children have that as well.

Anonymous said...

That is an incredible post!! It makes me so excited to meet this little guy growing inside me. I don't think it's any different with girls though, my daughter is such a daddy's girl and there are times only he will do...

Barb said...

You know, Dr. Phil says children are most influenced by their same-sex parent. If Dr. Phil says it, it must be true, right? I think the boys are behaving pretty much the way you'd expect.

My niece (Sarah) could write a book on any number of subjects but raising boys would sure be a good one from her.

I say the perfect solution to this little problem is to just have yourself a little girl! Hmmmph.

a said...

Oh I feel your pain I have one of each and they never want me, (unless they are hurt or hungry or sleepy or they really need something) daddy is it! I'm glad to know I am not the only one.

Michelle said...

I thought of this post this morning at 5:45 and I heard my youngest up and about. His Daddy walked out in the hall an asked why he was up so earlier to which the little guy replied, "Because you are taking me to school today!". LOL It is a rare event that Dad can take him to school so he didn't want to miss it.

Big Mama said...

I always say it's all fun and games with Daddy,but once they need a hug or fall down it's always "MOMMY!"

Sweet post, Erin. Thank you so much for your sweet comment and prayers for my friend AJ and her family.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved