Saturday, November 04, 2006

A very sweet reunion. . .

I had the very great privilege of reuniting with one of my very best friends who until this past Thursday, I had not seen in 7 years!! Sarah and I (and our children) got to hang out for most of the day on Thursday. Isn't she cute??!! You would never know that she had only gotten one hour of sleep the night before (traveling). She seemed fresh as a daisy to me!

Sarah is a doll, and being around her made me miss her all the more!! She is unique, one of kind, absolutely precious. Her voice is so sweet, and for me hearing it brings back a ton of memories. A few months ago I got to eat lunch with Boomama's friend, Emma Kate. (So much fun!!) But, one of the first questions EK asked me was, "So, what is Sarah like? Tell me about her." I had no idea what to say. Sarah is unique. I guess the best word to describe her would be "cute" or "precious." In college the 2 phrases I heard her use over and over to me in the most endearing tone were: "Hi, sweet little friend." and "I love you to pieces." Oh, and to hear her tell a story. . . She would always have me on the edge of my seat as she recounted to me the details of her day. She could somehow make her walk to history class sound both exciting and funny. She is quite entertaining and exceedingly abundantly eloquent. Her vocabulary is extraordinary and cute - if a vocabulary can be cute - hers is. I love her. She has taken residence in a special place in my heart, and she will live there forever. And, as long as we are miles apart, I will miss her, miss her, miss her.

Is this picture not sweet, ya'll? Both of my sons absolutely adored baby Addie. This looks a little like love to me. . . (I just wish I had gotten a picture of James Christofer kissing Addie over and over again when we were saying goodbye.) And, let's just say that as I was leaving, some sort of agreement pertaining to the future of our children was made between Sarah and I - - and it was sealed with a hug.

I want to add a little something about Addie. . . I can't tell you how amazing it was for me to hold this child who I have so fervently prayed for. I got to hold her, kiss her, touch her soft hair, and run my finger over her already fading scar from open heart surgery. She is a miracle. She is beautiful and sweet, but she is strong, very strong. You can see it in her sweet little determined eyes. May God bless her and her sweet family. She is truly amazing, and I feel so blessed to know her. I love you, sweet Addie.

I felt like I had just seen Sarah yesterday. The seven years since we saw eachother last vanished into thin air the second that we started talking. It was as if no time had gone by at all - except for the fact that there were some wild monkeys running around!! Very, very fun - I highly recommend reunions like this. So, if you have a great friend that you haven't seen in oh, say 7 years, pay her a visit. You won't be sorry!!

13 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so happy for you and Sarah, Erin. What a wonderful reunion. I know just what you mean. There are a few special people in our lives who, no matter how long we've been apart, step right back into our lives as though only a few hours have passed.
You have a mutual admiration society. I've read all the sweet things Sarah has said about you on her blog. You both sound like very special young women.
Have a blessed weekend.

Big Mama said...

Aww, what a great reunion. There is really nothing as great as catching up with an old friend. The pictures are precious.

Jennifer said...

Sweet post. I have sensed so much of what you describe of Sarah from reading her posts. Good friends are such a treasure.

Anonymous said...

love love love. that's what your post shouts. as i've grown past my college years into the real "adult" years, i'm finding those kinds of friends.... the ones who hold an adoring piece of my heart no matter how much time or distance passes. They are few and far between. It's encouraging to see y'all still so close after 7 years apart. And oh my goodness, the pics... yes, I see more than just "what a cute baby" love there.

Love, calissa

p.s. thank you for your comments on my blog... I could feel a hug coming from you.

Michelle said...

Oh, Erin, how cool is that! I am so glad ya'll were able to renew your connection. Next Saturday I am meeting a friend that I had lost touch with over 20 years ago and we had NO contact until about 3 weeks ago. She and I and our boyfriends loved to double date in high school and we were cheerleaders together and then lost touch after graduation. It will be neat to see how we have changed.

Paula said...

Wonderful! I enjoy Sarah's writings. She seems very talented.

Anonymous said...

Do you like to find out what your baby is while you're pregnant? And if you do, are you gonna tell us? Just wondering. :)

Girl Raised in the South said...

Sarah told me to run here to see reunion photos. I wasnt disappointed, not only did I get to see both of you, but there was my sweet granddaughter, holding her head up and looking so big. It was such fun to hear Sarah's version of the weekend, much like yours was; I've always been so thankful for the precious true friends she made at Union. I smiled to myself to read your description of her; "exceedingly abundantly eloquent" especially tickled me. When she phones me, she says "Hello little Mom" even though I'm a good 5" taller than her. She is precious, but so are you sweet Erin. xoxoxo

Jennifer said...

Erin- I hope you see this! I am responding to your post on my blog. We live in Rome. We moved here 3 years ago from Atlanta (after spending a year in Virginia) How long ago were you here?

Deidre said...

Such a sweet post, Erin. How precious to have such a special friend. That kind of friendship is truly a gift from God. I loved reading about you holding Addie and connecting with the one whom you had been praying for. Such a gift!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend like that too, just an amazing woman whom I love more than life itself.

It looks like you had a wonderful time visiting and I just adore that picture of your son and her daughter. (Wouldn't life be so much easier if we could still arrange marriages?!?)

Paula said...

I saw that Sarah went to visit a friend in Tennessee. I thinking that is you? Well, I am from Tennessee too. We love East Tennessee. Have you been here long? Are you in the East,Middle or West?

Sarah said...

Erin, I don't know if you'll see this; I should really just email you, but I saw on your profile that you like Fernando Ortega, and I had to comment! I LOVE him! I've never met anybody else until this moment who lists him as a favorite. I KNEW we were kindred spirits that day in the cafeteria at Union! So glad I ate lunch with you:)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved