Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Refreshing Break. . .

We began renovating our home on September 25th - a mere three months ago. But, I assure you it feels more like a year or more. We can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are moving home this weekend. The work is far from finished, but our home is now liveabe - so we are going there. And, I cannot wait.

The last three months have been crazy. I often wonder how I will remember these months. I think they will always be a bit of a blur to me. I am trying to mentally slow down, so that I do not miss today while looking so forward to tomorrow. . .

But, God gave me a bit of an oasis over Christmas. A refreshing little break! I got to spend several days at Erik's brother's home. This is the home of my sweet sister-in-love, Jen. One day I will tell the story of how we were nursing school buddies - virtually inseparable for two years and then, we married brothers. You know, so we didn't have to be apart. . . just kidding! We both really do love our husbands. The fact that they are brothers - making us officially sisters and our children blood related - is just icing on the cake.

As I look back over the last five years, between Jen and I, we have had a newborn every Christmas except one. And, we use nursing our babies as our little way of getting some "alone time" during the holidays. This year she had the newborn, and I followed her to a quiet room several times over the days we spent there so that I could chit chat with her as she nursed baby Abby. And, we always remark at how refreshing it is to be together. . . It is like our song says. . . Our song is a song by Watermark. And, one of the lines says, "Something about just being with you. When I leave I feel like I've been with God." Jen is calm, peaceful, slow and easy. She has a soothing effect on me. And, she loves me more than I understand. And, though I feel unworthy, I am so grateful.

And, now it is back to Real Life. We got back last night around 8:00 p.m., and Erik left for work at 8:00 a.m. this morning. I began the morning with 50 phone calls and a few errands - running back and forth from the rent house to our home 4 or 5 times. But, what keeps me going is the thought that one of these days, I will be in my new house with peaceful music playing in the background as little boys laugh and play. And, life will once again be calm and somewhat routine. Ahhhh. . . But, I am thankful for the little refreshing break God gave me over Christmas. My soul needed it.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I am glad you had such a refreshing time away.
I love that Watermark song. I put it on a CD I gave to my bridesmaids.
Great news about the house!

Anonymous said...

Hi,Erin! I missed you!

It sounds like you all had a wonderful time. What a wonderful friendship you share with your sister in law! That is precious!

I'm so glad you will be moving into your house soon. What a blessing! Just think how much you will enjoy the renovated house....and then the new baby...lots of new beginnings for this new year! I rejoice with you!

I have not heard that song,but I will have to find that one...sounds sweet!

Happy New year and I WILL be praying for the move! Just take it one day at a time and it will get done.

Kim

Big Mama said...

Sounds like y'all had a great Christmas. What a blessing that one of your best friends is now an official family member! I'm a little bit jealous. : )

Michelle said...

I am so excited for y'all -- to be moving home for New Years! What a treat, indeed.

When do we get to see pics of the progress? I am a house person and love the before, during and after updates!

Anonymous said...

YAY, you're back! I missed you. And oh my goodness, LOVE that Watermark song..... it is "the song" for one of my most precious friendships as well.

HUGS hugs hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

Happy to see you back. Missed you!
Gwen

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!! There are very few friendships in life like the one you described. I am lucky enough to have found a couple. They are just an incredible gift from God and I'm so thankful for their presence in my life. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit and enjoyed the time with her. That is wonderful!!

Paula said...

I am so glad you had a peaceful break. 2007 will come with wonderful blessings.
I always long for peace and calmness, so my heart feels your desire. It will be here soon.
Blessings into the New Year.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me what CD this song is on...? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

"calm, peaceful, slow, and easy"--perfectly sums up Jen:) It made me miss her even more to read this! What a blessing her friendship was to me when we were all at Union together:)

Have fun moving back in!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that song is called, "More than you'll ever know" (or something like that) I love Watermark and now you've got me digging out that CD. I think the CD is actually called *Watermark* (maybe it was their first?)

They have another beautiful song called, "Glory Baby" that was a place of solace for me several years ago after a miscarriage. It is a precious song and heartfelt as they wrote from their own experiences.

Reading your blog today has reminded me of a precious sweet friendship that was kindled over the days of marathon nursing sessions and endless of hours of phone conversations, talks and walks at the park, and helping each other along that bumpy path of motherhood.

As our oldest are now approaching their teen years and we are separated by over a thousand miles, we are still bonded in an incredible way! (4-hour phone conversations and yearly family vacations). God has richly blessed that friendship that was "birthed" out of motherhood.

Sorry to hog the comments! I got a little caught in the moment there :)

Rachel said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile now...I happened upon it at Susie's Bluebird Blogs site b/c she recently did my site too. I love to read yours b/c I too am a mom to 2 young boys. And I went to nursing school, and my best friend did too... and now we are married to twin brothers! I thought that was so fun when you mentioned that about you and Jen today! Hope you don't mind my peeking in!

Linda said...

Welcome back Erin. It seems God knows just what we need to refresh our spirits. I'm so glad you got to spend time with a special friend. I know how you must be looking forward to getting back into your home. It will be wonderful.
Happy New Year!!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and keeping up with your house progress. I'm so glad for you to get to move back in! I know that stress all too well. We had a death in the family and a reorganization of our family business and lived out of boxes for almost 2 years!! It's very frustrating. So Happy New Year! I'm glad for your new beginning in your (new) old home!

Deidre said...

Erin, I pray your move back in your home is going well. I know you're so glad to get back in and return to some normalcy.

I'm glad you and your family had a nice Christmas!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about your refreshing time over the holidays. God is so faithful to meet us at our need!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved