Monday, December 04, 2006

A Seed Planted in Concrete. . .

If I had to use one word to describe our neighbor/contractor, I would use the word jolly. Now, especially this time of year the word jolly makes one think of St. Nick and a large round belly. There is not much fat on Mr. Cole's body. He is strong and lean. He is jolly in that he always has a smile on his face, always. We have lived across the street from him for 5 years now. He walks his dogs - Bruno (an auburn haired laborador) and Belle (a Bassett Hound) twice a day - 6:15 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. And, he has a smile on his face whether he sees you or not. It is just who he is, and I admire that about him.

Now the interesting little twist is that he doesn't go to church with his wife. She goes, you know, like 3 times a week, but he stays home. In the summer Sunday mornings are his time for cutting the grass. And, he smiles sweetly and waves at us as we load up the boys and head off to church. I did a Bible study a year or so ago at his wife's church, and his salvation was on the Bible study prayer list. Erik and I have hypothosized that maybe church (in general) has in some way offended him, in some way hurt him, driving him away. We have prayed for him for a while.

Erik and I began praying as soon as we decided to do the renovation that God might use us in some way to draw Mr. Cole to Himself. We prayed about it quite often at first, but as time has gone on, our thoughts have drifted. . . To be quite honest I haven't prayed about it much at all lately. I only think about it every now and then when I feel like a spoiled girl asking him to change something. Then, I think, "What kind of witness is this?" I usually sugar-coat my request with a thousand apologies and even throw in a little, "Please don't hate me when I ask this, but if it wouldn't be too much trouble could we like move those light fixtures up 6 in. I know you have already put up sheet-rock and painted, etc., but would it be too much trouble? Because if it is, just tell me, and I'll get over it." To which he always assures me that it is no trouble at all which makes me feel like he is a better example of Christ than I am. So, much for being a witness. . . But, those are really the only times that I have thought about it since the beginning of the renovation.

Last Saturday night Erik and I went on a date with a purpose. We sat at our favorite restaurant, and made a list of verses for each room of our home. After dinner we went back to the house, and I wrote the verses on the floor while Erik walked around praying over the rooms. I didn't think much of it after we left that night - except that Flat and Gerald would probably be making jokes about the Song of Solomon verse we picked to put under the carpet where our bed will be (nothing explicit, I assure you).

Sunday morning before church Erik went over to check on the house and to talk to Mr. Cole. Erik came home beaming. He said, "It may have just been sawdust in his eye, but I think Mr. Cole was quite moved by our verses." Now, the thought that Mr. Cole might even notice the verses had not occured to me. Mr. Cole even went so far as to say that ours was a very "blessed home." Now, those are words that I would never have imagined hearing him say. I wish I could have been there! They went on to talk about God, his provisions, his protection, etc. Erik was given the opportunity to share what he believes with Mr. Cole. I was so stunned and grateful!

And, I smiled as I thought about the fact that our Amazing God could plant a seed in any soil - even concrete.

22 comments:

Deidre said...

Erin, there is so much I could comment about this post.

First of all, what an amazing thing for you and your husband to write scripture all over your home. Emma's school was just built and they did that in each classroom before the flooring went in, but to put it in your home....WOW! That makes me want to pull my carpet and hardwoods up right now!!!

God knew that scripture would be a protection for your family, but what is so neat is that He also knew WHO would see it. I believe He impressed you to write that scripture for Mr. Cole as well. I love it when God is God and His plan is so much more enormous than we can imagine. I have goosebumps....I'm going to pray that his heart will continue to be drawn towards the Saviour. This is a sensitive time right now, so we have to pray.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! I will pray for Mr. Cole...that these words of God will impress on his heart his need for a Savior. God's Words are more powerful than a 2 edged sword,piercing the heart of man. Thanks for sharing this.

Donnetta said...

I have found in my life that sometimes God moves the greatest when I am least expecting it. How very wonderful!!

I love the idea of putting the scriptures under the flooring. We have had our homes prayed over... that was not new to me... but the scriptures... I LOVE IT!

How exciting to hear the report of Mr. Cole opening his heart to discussion of things of God. Keep us posted.

This has also been a huge encouragement to me! It just goes to show that if we are obeying and doing what we are to do, then God will bless that and use us in the lives of others as well, whether we always see the results or not.

Continuing one day at a time...

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Erin, I read this with tears in my eyes. You alone are the sweetest person I've ever known--really. And that you'd be so honest to say that you forget to pray for Mr. Cole makes me love you even more dearly.

If there is anyone on earth who could reach through someone's heart for Jesus, it's you and Erik. Ed preached just this weekend about fishing for men. He said if we're not fishing, we're not really following Christ. I've thought about that a lot this week; you "fished" in a mighty way when you put your verses on your floors! How neat to think that the very Scripture you meant for your home may end up leading others home, too.

I love you, sweet friend. Have a happy Tuesday!

p.s. I'm praying for Friday . . .;)

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE that tradition and am so envious that you get to do that with your home. Someday, I hope that Jon and I can bless our own home in that way. And what an incredible witness! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Erin,thank you for your comments on my blog...I agreed with that. I'm just curious...what *kind* of church do you go to? How would you describe it? It is amazing to me at how many like minded ladies I have met from blogging! It has been very encouraging!

Kim

Ivey's Mom said...

It is what you do when no one is looking that normally makes the difference.

Deidre said...

Erin, I read your comments on my post....Yes! I will be your friend...I already am!

I so desperately need a Christian friend with children the same age as mine. Hey, the house beside me is for sale...you could move right in. I'll rip up the carpet for you before you get here, so you can add your scriptures!!! :) :)

Ivey's Mom said...

They just reopened the wing. It has been renovated!!! Right now I am looking at a flat screen. You would approve.
Gwen

Kelly said...

I have been reading your blog for a while - but I just had to post after reading this. This post made me cry it was so neat.
We did this in 2 of the churches I used to be a member of when we got new santuaries but I would have never thought to do this for my house.
What a inspirational story! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Erin, this is such a wonderful post. I love how the story came together in the end... definitely a story woven by God. I will say a prayer for Mr. Cole right now. And the idea of placing verses in the walls of your home and walking through and praying in each room.... AMAZING... gave me chills. I'm gonna remember that if I ever build or renovate a home someday.

I think you are so sweet.

Lacey said...

I love it! That is so awesome! :)

And picking verses for each room...what a great idea!

Kelly said...

What a beautiful post! It really got me thinking about how I, as a Christian, can be more creative in reaching and impacting those in my life and our culture. Sometimes it just takes the most simple, novel ideas to plant that seed. Thank you for being willing to be a sower of seeds and sharing that with me.

Paula said...

Erin, I am so touched. I will pray that the scriptures, your husbands talk and your family's Holy example will nudge and pull at Mr. Cole's heart. The Lord is amazing. He can use scripture on concrete!!

Jennifer said...

Erin- This is AWESOME!!!!! We are about to redo our flooring upstiars...for the kids rooms. I LVOE LOVE LOVE this idea.
What an amazing ministry to Mr. Cole. Just awesome!

Anonymous said...

First, that was such a neat idea. I love the fact that you put scripture on the concrete!
Second, how beautiful that it and your family ministered to Mr. Cole!

Thank you for sharing.

Linda said...

I love to hear the amazing ways God hears, answers prayer and then works. I'm going to try to remember to pray for Mr. Cole - that the see that has been planted will begin to put down tiny roots and grow.

Big Mama said...

Erin, I just love this and your sweet heart. I'm going to say some prayers for Mr. Cole. It just goes to show that God uses us in ways we can't even imagine.

Anonymous said...

Wow what an incredible idea and wonderful thing for you and your husband to think of that is an idea I will treasure for sure.

Praying for your family and Mr. Cole.

Casey said...

What an awesome idea- and a great story! God uses anything and sometimes it is what we least expect.

Melissa Stover said...

i love that idea! and that it may have influenced the lives of the workers there too is just awesome. i wish i had thought of that when we built our home.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved