Monday, September 08, 2008

Bittersweet




I am head over heels in love with my new little man. He is a sweetheart. Pure peace. I am so thankful for his little life and for all that he adds to our family. We adore him.

A few weeks ago I had this strange fear that after he was born I would be so overwhelmed by having four children that I would for the first time struggle with post partum depression. I didn't tell anyone about my fear, but it was very much there. So much is changing in my life right now, so much is going on that I often feel a bit in over my head. Usually I am excited for the birth of a new baby, excited to nurse again, excited to hold and cuddle a new little one. But, this time I was so overwhelmed that even though I was excited I could have waited a month or two or three or eight.

But. . .

as soon as Erik placed Erik Daniel on my chest, everything changed. Completely. Wholeheartedly. Depression is the farthest thing from my present mindset. I am more at peace, more at ease, more joyful, and more patient with the big boys than I was 2 weeks ago. I love having a new little one in the house. I really love it. I cannot tell you how content and at peace I feel.
And, this is a good thing, but also it has also been very bittersweet. . .

Last week I was catching up on laundry that I had let pile up for a week and a half. I had about 4 baskets of laundry waiting for me to wash and 2 more baskets ready to be folded and put away. I decided that it was time to get down to it. As I began sorting darks and lights and delicates, I came across the navy blue Orvis shirt that Erik wore the morning Erik Daniel was born. Emotion overwhelmed me, and I put the shirt up to my face and tryed with all my might to smell something that would take me back to that day. But, all I could smell was the fading scent of Erik's cologne. I gently layed the shirt carefully into the darks pile and continued on with my work feeling a little bit on the melancholy side.

Then, later I took the baskets one by one to my bedroom and began folding and sorting them on my bed. As I neared the end of the last basket something again took me aback. Underneath several bath towels lay several maternity shirts that I had worn the week before Erik Daniel was born. One of them, my "Deliver me, O Lord" shirt, I had worn to the hospital the morning that I went into labor. Emotion again swept over me. I gently folded each of the shirts as a strange saddness crept over me.

It is over ~ and it may very well never happen again.

And, I love it.

I truly love being pregnant, giving birth, and having a tiny little one in my home.
We have always said we wanted to have 3 or 4 children. I decided when we were pregnant with Elijah that it had to be 4. I didn't even want to consider that Elijah might be my last.
Now, we have had our fourth, and it is so bittersweet ~ so much more than I ever imagined it would be. Everything hits me. From his cord falling off to seeing him smile for the first time, I am paying so much more attention to each detail. I am highly aware of each little baby milestone.
I love where our family is right now. In fact, the other day I threatened to put a brick on Joshua's head if he didn't quit growing! He just laughed at me! I guess it will always be this way. I don't want Erik Daniel to stay a newborn forever. Eventually I would get tired of the broken sleep. And, I cannot wait to see who God made him to be. I do want my boys to grow up to be husbands and daddys. . . eventually. Thankfully, that is a ways away, but when the time comes for them to go out into the world, when the drive off to college, when they get into that limousine with the girl of their dreams - birdseed in their hair - and they blow me one last kiss out the window, it will be bittersweet.
And, that is okay. It is okay for it to be bittersweet. Because I have poured my life into them, because they have been my world, this whole parenting experience with each new era will be bittersweet. It will be sweet because I will be thrilled for them, and bitter because I will miss the days past. I will miss being pregnant. But, I will never regret that I wrapped my heart around these little guys even in the womb. I will never regret that I have embraced each stage no matter how hard, no matter how precious. I have loved it all (at least, all that I have experienced up until this point!).
And, so today I am embracing the day, embracing my darling, precious, tree frog legged newborn, embracing my plump, strong, 16 month old, embracing my opinionated, silly 3 year year old, embracing my sensitive, leader of a 5 year old, and embracing my tall, handsome, hardworking husband.
And, here he is again, my sweet littlest one. . .

12 comments:

Tara Lee said...

This is sweet. I am only too sure that I will be feeling these exact same emotions in a few months! Thank you for putting them into words.

Congratulations on your little Erik's birth!

Christi said...

I loved reading your mother's heart on this - it echoes my thoughts almost exactly. And I long for a newborn again, but I don't think it'll happen. Oh, how sweet your new one looks!

Liz Ferguson said...

Congratulations on the birth of sweet baby Erik!

What beautiful thoughts on mothering. I can so relate as your heart mirrors the feelings I have experianced in having my 4th baby. I know that peace you speak of. God is so good to fill our hearts with joy at what could be overwhelming.

Thank you for allowing us another glimpse into your heart, I have been blessed and encouraged by your words.

Sunshine said...

I can SO relate to all you wrote here except we have three girls - you have SUCH a precious Mommy heart! Your newest little one is SO, SO cute! It makes me want another one - Sunshine

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

OH how I can relate... my baby is 15 months! I am clinging to every bit of baby chub she's got!:)

Amy said...

You are incredible.

Your boys are so very blessed to have you as their mama. I am so happy for you that your home is peaceful and that you are soaking up these newborn moments. It really is bittersweet with each stage they go through - your words describe it perfectly.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

That was so very sweet. Bittersweet is the perfect description of those days with a newborn for what may be the last time.

On another note, I've heard that going from 3 to 4 is nothing compared to going form 2 to 3. I'm curious, what do you think?

Kristin said...

I love your insight. Just beautiful.

Katie said...

OH...what a sweet, sweet post! I so know these feelings! On the first night home with my new daughter Amelia (who is 16 months now), just as I was finishing nursing her and snuggling her back into bed, my momma (who was staying with us) came in and found me just boo-hooing!! I told her Amelia was growing up too fast! I remember her saying, "Katie, she isn't even back up to her birth weight yet." :o) But it was just moving too fast, even if she was only a few days old! Those are such sweet, sweet moments...I can't wait for more to come.

By the way, I'm Katie...and I don't exactly recall how I found your blog. But it was sometime last year, and one day, I bookmarked your blog...one day in February 2007...the day of your "I LF U" post, do you remember that? (I'm sure you do, it was a memorable one.) Anyway, I apparently just bookmarked that post, as opposed to your blog. So for days, months, A YEAR, I checked for updates, only to see the "I LF U" post. Just last week, I recognized my error, and YEA! It was like a whole book to read catching up on everything over the last year! hahaha! Congratulations on having TWO new sons! I absolutely love your reading your blog. Have a wonderful, wonderful day with all your precious boys!

Messy and Wonderful said...

SO well said.

My heart is in the same place. Every milestone gives me that pang in my heart.

I never felt it like this when I was the one graduating, or even getting married... but as a mother, it's a whole different experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Mountain Mama said...

You are embracing motherhood! Awesome. Hold on to it. Even in those tough moments and trials.

You are truly blessed. Thanks for sharing your heart.
ashley

Jennifer said...

Very beautifully put. congratulations!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved