Sunday, October 12, 2008

Erik Daniel's Baby Dedication




This morning we dedicated Erik Daniel to the Lord.


It was an overcast and cool fall morning. The weather outside was the kind of weather that produces a calm and peaceful effect on my soul. But, inside our home the effect of the weather was downplayed by our lack of preparation and the general chaos of Sunday mornings. Erik and I were running to and fro attempting to dress, feed, and care for 4 young boys, and, by the time Erik Daniel and I arrived at church, my nerves were a bit rattled. . . to say the least.


But, the church house was a different story. The trees just beginning to turn in the churchyard were beautiful, and I felt a little more calm just pulling into the parking lot. Because I was running late, when I entered the church foyer, I could hear the congregation singing hymns. And, the old hymns were peace to my soul on that hurried morning.


We do this "dedication thing" with every child, and it has become rather routine, I guess. But, with each new child, my love and admiration for our church body grows. And, today as I walked down the aisle, I was quite overwhelmed by all the faces that have meant so much to me and my children. This body of believers who once were just names and faces have become more intimately acquainted with our family as they have touched our children's lives. They are their Sunday school teachers, choir teachers, nursery workers, and VBS helpers. And, over the years many of them have become like family to us. It is amazing. We've only lived here for 7 years, but this small town and this sweet church have made this place like home to us. They are a people of simple faith who don't get caught up in great theological debates, but they know how to love and care for their own. And, I have been blessed greatly by them.
And, today as we dedicated our child to the Lord, I blinked back a few tears as my eyes met Lu Anne's, Wendy's, Mr. Ricky's, Jake's, Mr. Marshall's, Mr. Bobby's, Mrs. Lee's, and many others. I know how much they have meant to me, and I know how much they will mean to my Erik Daniel. The body of Christ is a beautiful thing.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Beautiful picture! Loved your post. You are right about the body of Christ being a beautiful thing.
Blessings,
Lori


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved