Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Pumpkin Patch Parable

The basic gist of it is that God is the farmer. He grows the pumpkins. Some of them are tall and thin, and some of them are short and fat. After they are harvested, he puts a knife to them and cuts them open. This part hurts, but it is necessary. Then, he cleans them of all their yuckiness (the sin in their hearts). He reaches into them with His hands and pulls out all the seeds and pulp, and takes it to the compost pile ~ never to be seen again. Then he carves a smile on the pumpkins face. And, most importantly, He puts His light inside of them, so that they can shine His light into the dark night.

It has become our Halloween tradition. First we read the book, The Pumpkin Patch Parable, and then Erik carves the pumpkin reminding them of what each step signifies. I have never been a big fan of Halloween, but this little book has really given Halloween a spin that I can be excited about!!

So, here are some pics from our evening. . .

Reading the book. . .


The boys watching Erik carve. . .

JCT didn't like the smell of the pumpkin's sinful heart. . .

Putting a candle inside of the pumpkins. . .


Letting our lights shine. . .




In other Halloween news, all the kindergarten classes at Joshua's school went trick or treating around the community yesterday. As I drove through town running errands, I saw them downtown sitting on the sidewalk outside one of the banks eating candy. Then, later I saw them entering the nursing home. Later, I asked Joshua about his visit to the nursing home. He said that they were all dressed up and waiting in the front room for the kindergarten classes to come. I asked him what they were dressed up as, and he said, "Well, like one of them was Elvis! And, another one was a penguin!" I had fun imagining the older people in these costumes!! What fun this day must have been for both the kids and the elderly! Then, the kids went back to school in time to eat lunch, play on the playground, and have their Halloween party. I'm telling you, I want to go to kindergarten. Too much fun!
That evening we took the boys to one of the local church's trunk or treats. I have never been to one of these, but it was great fun! The boys walked through the church's parking lot from car to car getting candy from many of the church members. Then, we took them to a few friend's homes to trick or treat. And, finally we went back home to do the pumpkin patch parable. As we drove home, Joshua asked me to hold his bag of candy. I opened it check out his loot, and the smell brought back a thousand memories. It still smells the same. The smell of a bag full of candy!!! It took me back to a time many moons ago when a little red headed girl sat in the middle of the living room floor, dumped her candy bag out, and gently sifted through the sweet wonders that she had collected. Good memories, and now I making them with my boys!
I'll end with this picture from the trunk or treat. Elijah was not real happy about taking the picture!! When you have four kids, you are doing well if only one of them is melting down during a family picture!!! Ahhhhh. . . . the memories!

3 comments:

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Too fun! I bought that book and didn't use it this year. We still have an uncarved pumpkin though, so maybe it isn't too late.

Cute family picture. I always figure if even one of my three is looking at me, I'm doing good.

Kim said...

I have not been here to visit you in so long! I have missed reading about your sweet sweet family! Congratulations on sweet baby boy #4! What a blessing!!!

It looks like you all are doing well! Your boys always make me smile!

Katie said...

That is so cute! I love that last line about doing good when only one of four is having a melt-down! hahaha! Amelia is almost 19 mos now, and it seems like picture time equals Amelia's total come-aparts! Oh well...hopefully, it is a short phase. :o)

I'll have to look for that book. What a neat take on Jack O'Lanterns!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved