Saturday, January 10, 2009

A "We Can" Day Flight of Ideas. . .

Yesterday (Friday) morning a sleepy little pj clad boy with long tangled strawberry blond hair looked up at his Daddy and asked. . .

"Daddy, will you and Joshua be home all day tomorrow?"

And, his Daddy smiled and answered, "Yes, we will!"

To which sweet little JCT replied, "I knew it was a holiday tomorrow! I just knew it was! Is tomorrow a 'we can' day, Daddy?"

And, his Daddy smiled and laughed under his breath, "Yes, son, tomorrow is a 'we can' day! And, 'we can' play together all day!"

Don't you just love the "we can!" I know I do! This morning the boys got their hair cut, and by the boys I mean all of the males in our family excluding only Rain and Erik Daniel. And, while they were out I made a big breakfast which is like the highlight of the week for me and Erik. It is the highlight of the week for me because nothing brings me more satisfaction than cooking a huge satisfying meal for my boys, and then sitting down to enjoy it with a large cup of steaming hot coffee! And, it is the highlight of Erik's week because he loves, loves, loves breakfast food! It doesn't matter whether I make pancakes, Belgium waffles, french toast or biscuits as long as he gets scrambled eggs and bacon he is a happy gentleman. Breakfast is his favorite. If I am at a loss for what to cook for dinner, I just make breakfast for dinner because I know that I know that I know that I will see a smile on his sweet face when he walks in the door after a long day at work and smells bacon cooking on the stove. Goodness, I love him. And, this morning he did the dishes, and that was so nice of him!

While the boys were out this morning, I spent some q.t. (quality time) with Erik Daniel. He didn't want to eat, so I lay him across the boppy and talked to him. Actually, I made a little deal with him. The deal went something like this. . .

"If you promise, promise, promise to stop growing, you, cute little fuzzy headed chubby adorable sweet baby, then, I promise to wake up whenever you want in the middle of the night to feed you, and I will change your diapers faithfully, and bathe you religiously, and in general meet all your needs for the rest of our days. So stop growing, okay?"

And, he smiled, giggled, and in baby language that translates, "Okay!" But, something tells me he won't stick to it. But, goodness, he is at such a wonderful stage. We are in some semblence of a routine, and he is cute and chubby and just plain fun. Not to mention the fact that he can now entertain himself by jumping in the jumperoo and standing in his walker!! Fun, fun, fun!! I love the 4-6 month age! Not yet mobile, but old enough to play and interact!

And, last night I had the strangest thing happen. I was standing in the kitchen, and it was very quiet, and I was cleaning the counters off when JCT ran past me from the living room to the powder bath. And, I had this really weird feeling like he was all grown up and I was catching a glimpse of him as a 3 year old again. It was strange, and I can't really explain it, but it made me appreciate his cute little 3 year old person even more than usual.

Slow down, all this growing, please people, please!

6 comments:

Sam said...

So sweet. Hope it's a great "we can" day!

Messy and Wonderful said...

I feel the same way - and posted similar thoughts today.

Time is precious.

Jenny said...

My baby is coming up on his 2 year birthday. I so very much understand where you are coming from! These days pass way too quickly!!

Sarah said...

Erin, Grayson's biggest goal in life is to get big enough that I'll let him watch Star Wars. And I always tell him that I need to squish his head down, so he won't grow up! So every time he eats, he grins at me and thanks me for helping him grow.

I don't know what I'm going to do when he's big--I'm sure I'll like him just as much as I do now, but his cheeks are still chubby, and I think I'll cry when they're not!

You know the solution--keep on having babies :)

(And I got your text today--thank you! I can't wait!!)

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

If you figure out how to keep them little, please let me know!

Jill said...

Annette has school only on MWF and so she calls Tuesday pj days because the big kids and dad are gone and we stay home and get things done around here.
Over Christmas break she missed that time alone with mom. She was thrilled on Tuesday of last week when they went back.
Some days its really good just to be home.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved