Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Mardi Gras, Dawlin'

Yesterday was Fat Tuesday, and 15 years ago I'm not sure if I would have known what Fat Tuesday was. But, into my life walked a tall, dark, and handsome New Orleans boy, and he changed all of that.

Several months ago, I decided that I loved celebrating holidays and my kids agree, so I sat down and made a list in the back of my calendar of fun holidays that we could celebrate as a family. And, Mardi Gras was on that list, so for the first time ever, this year we celebrated it! I wanted to make a King Cake from scratch, but Erik wanted to order one from a traditional New Orleans bakery. Forty dollars and two days later this arrived in the mail. . .


Yeah, we won't be ordering our King Cake next year. I'll make it. I'm too frugal for a forty dollar mediocre king cake.

Last Friday Erik read to the boys all about the symbolism of the King Cake and a little background on the celebration of Mardi Gras. Then, we put on beads and passed out coins to make the kitchen feel a little more festive!



Even Rain got into all the excitement. He could hardly contain himself! Can't you see it in his eyes?



I'm sorry, but this was the cutest part of the evening. . .


And, then it was time for the unveiling of the amazing king cake. . .

A close up. . .




And, guess who (two days later) finally found the baby in his piece of King Cake?? The King, himself, King Joshua!

It was fun, and I believe it will make a good family tradition!

1 comment:

FaceforGrace said...

What bakery did y'all order that from? You know I live in South Louisiana (I'm about 60 miles from New Orleans)... we have some pretty amazing bakeries in this area with some pretty amazing King Cakes. Um, not that I partook of any myself this year- what with the monitoring of the blood sugar, etc. :)

Yes indeed- a fun family tradition! If we ever move away from this area, we will certainly do the same!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved