Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Whiskers. . .

And, I'm not talking about the ones that grow naturally from the chin of a man. . .


I am talking about the ones on the chin of my two year old son.



It was a day like any other day, except for the fact that it was the anniversary of the day my mother gave birth to her youngest daughter, and that would be me.


Remember those lovely benches that I bought for our kitchen table? Love them. But, when your children tend to act like monkeys, they are an accident waiting to happen.

Monkey child + backless bench + concrete floors = a trip to Daddy's office and 3 stitches

JCT and Joshua were playing at the kitchen table, and I was completely engrossed in a conversation with my mom who was in town for a visit when it happened. We heard a boom, looked up, and saw JCT laying face down on the floor. I picked him up, and he cried a bit. I looked in his mouth, no blood. I held him for a few minutes trying to calm him down. Then, I noticed that there was blood on his sweater. So, I looked under his chin and found an open wound.

Long story short. . . We were at Erik's office a few minutes later. Halfway to his office, I realized that I had forgotten to grab the camera. So, with JCT bleeding in the backseat, I turned the car around and went back home to get my beloved camera. Finally, we got to Erik's office. He took one look at JCT's chin and said he needed stitches. Kim, Erik's nurse, gave me gauze pads soaked in Lidocaine to hold under his chin until Erik finished seeing his morning patients.

And, so you ask. . . Was the doctor's son a good patient?

That would be a. . .

N.O.

Bless his little heart he was scared and mad, and he kicked and screamed and cried. How in the world Erik stitched him up is beyond me. The child refused to hold still even with a crew of people trying to hold him down and talk to him. Erik was amazing to watch, his hand was steady, he appeared perfectly calm. Other than the fact that sweat was dripping, pouring actually, off his forehead, I would have thought the whole thing a walk in the park for him. He just stuck that fatty tissue back inside JCT's chin and sewed my sweet baby up!

Needless to say, JCT was asleep before we got out of the parking lot. He completely wore himself out fighting off Erik, Kim, Sean (Erik's partner), Julie (works at the front desk), Lisa (works in the lab), and me. But, I must say, he looked pretty cute in the rearview mirror -asleep with his little bandaged chin.

And, after JCT woke up from his nap, Joshua admired his bandage saying it looked like a pirate's beard. Aren't big brothers wonderful!

I'm not sure what was more upsetting to me - the fact that my two year old had to be held down by 6 people and given stitches or the fact that I don't have a single picture of the incident.

Why, you ask, do I not have a single picture since I turned the car around to get my camera? Because, I tell you, a digital camera is a wonderful thing, but it will not work without a CF card - you know, present inside the camera. I took wonderful pictures of Erik leaning over JCT's gaping wound, and of JCT sleeping soundly in his carseat after the exhausting endeavor. But, they are recorded only in my memory. And, yes, my camera does alert the user to the fact that the CF card is missing. "No CF" blinks on the screen if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I was a bit preoccupied, therefore I didn't notice until it was like 5 hours too late.

This picture was taken later that night after I realized that I had neglected to notice the missing CF card. Just call him "Captain Bandage Beard."

Oh, and just in case you are wondering, that is pizza sauce on the corner of his mouth, not blood. Mr. Cute pouty lips!

This is the T-shirt that he wore while getting stitches. I still haven't washed it.

I'm sure this is the first of many trips we will take to Daddy's office, and I don't mean to visit Daddy. I mean trips to Daddy's office for stitches, x-rays, etc. I've got a hunch that most of these trips will involve JCT. . .

9 comments:

Terri said...

How sweet! I'm glad he is doing better. Truly ... the joys of boys!

Kim said...

He has been officially ushered into the world of boyhood!

My middle daughter (the rambuctious gymnast) had stitches on her forehead when she was about 2 1/2. I will *never* forget that ordeal.

The whole straight-jacket issue and the nurses trying to convince me that things would be better if I waited outside.

I did not.

I sang the alphabet and Jesus loves me with her over and over and she would be snubbing (you-know, crying and sucking air at the same time?) but never missing one word to the song!

Kim said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm glad it was just a little gash and not something more serious. Poor baby! How did Mom do? I usually do not do well in situations like that. I need to be braver...but things like that are hard on mommies!

Deidre said...

Oh, bless his heart! I'm sure that had to be different for Erik being his own child this time. I can relate to the fact that it took 6 people to hold him down. It takes that for E if she gets a splinter :)

I pray he's better soon. I hope you are too.

picturesofhisgrace said...

I've been wondering what you have been up to lately. I love the pouty lips. I wish I could have seen the mass of people trying to hold that poor boy down. Can't wait to show Kevin the blog when he gets home from picking up the kids. By the way, we've all had camera moments like yours. Love you, karen

Sarah said...

Erin, how ironic is it that this post is right after the one of Joshua having his quiet roomtime?

I'm sorry it happened on your birthday--at least it'll be one you won't forget! I miss you, sweet friend :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I didn't know your hubby was a doctor. My husband graduates next month as a Physician Assistant! Anyway, just a side note...

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh, poor, poor JCT. You, Mama, seemed to have handled it with more calm and peace than I would have. Good for you!

I am worried that our little boy will have us familiar with our ER as well.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

Poor precious little boy. What is it with you and Sarah and dangerous benches??

I'm glad he is feeling better. I am thrilled that Park has not needed stitches yet, but I must say I'm not sure it can possibly last much longer! Boy mommies are a special breed:)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved