Tuesday, October 23, 2007

His rest time


It has been rainy for two days straight, and, therefore, I am loving life. The leaves are turning, and soon they will begin to fall. And, as I passed a local church's digital sign this morning, it announced that the temperature outside was 48 degrees! And, that made me smile. There is a certain peace that comes with this time of year. It makes me want to slow down and stay at home.
Today, after lunch I settled the two youngest fellows in for their afternoon nap, and then Joshua and I put on our raincoats and walked Rain outside to do his "job." We came inside, and I took off our coats, put on a pot of coffee, and lit a candle. Then, I straightened up a little bit while Joshua chose the pages that he wanted to color during his rest time. Joshua spends about 45 minutes to an hour in my room each afternoon. It is his rest time, his alone time, his down time. And, I think he likes it.
We do this everyday, but today it struck me that maybe he looks forward to this time as much as I do. I always open the blinds, put his favorite CD in the CD player, and turn on the lamp that sits beside my bed. For the first time, I realized that this is all quite cozy and peaceful, and if I were a four year old this just might be my favorite time of the day.

5 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh Erin! I just love reading about your life. You find blessings and joy in almost every situation. And I love that you have these little rituals with your boys. They are so blessed to have you as their mom. =)

Christi said...

My oldest has rest time in my room each day, too. I don't think he likes it. ;-)

I love your view on things; always gives me something to think about.

Terri said...

That sounds just lovely.

Wendy said...

Sounds like a wonderful rest time routine!

Dionna said...

I bet he DOES love it. What a great idea.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved