Monday, October 22, 2007

My Confession

So, I saw the candy sitting on the counter in a little pile. And, I really like candy. And, I knew that it was Joshua's. But, he brought it home from church yesterday. And, it had been at least 26 hours since he got it. And, it was still sitting there. Surely he had forgotten it. And, I really needed the pick-me-up a little sugar can give. And, did I mention that I really like candy? So, I stealthily unwrapped it and ate one piece. . . and then another. . . all gone. Mmmm. . .

A few hours later he asked for it.

I attempted distracting him.

I told him he couldn't have sweets until after dinner hoping that he'd forget.

He didn't.

Joshua: Mommy, can I please have my candy from church?

Me: Baby, I have to tell you something.

I took his face in my hands and made him look me in the eyes.

Me: I ate it.

He looked at me confused as if it didn't quite compute.

Joshua: You ate my candy?

Me: Yes. I ate it.

Joshua throws his head back and cries out the cry of an injured animal.

Then, after a minute he straightens up looks me in the eyes and says: Your kidding right?

Me: No, baby, I'm not kidding. Mommy ate your candy.

Joshua: All of it?

Me: Yes, all of it. I'm so sorry. Can you forgive me?

Joshua looked at me with eyes full of hurt. It was, after all, his first betrayal of this kind: Yes, I forgive you. But, don't do it again. Next time we go to church you remember and don't do it again.

I assured him that I wouldn't.

I just pray that I am strong enough to keep my word.

Because I really like candy.

Alot.

12 comments:

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

This completely cracked me up!

Just think of all the cavities you saved him from , though. I feel certain you were just doing your part to be that selfless mom we all aspire to be. Taking one for the team, so to speak:)

Kelly said...

That is hilarious!

I'll bet he hides it next time:-)

HW said...

I cannot stop laughing.

We have had numerous scenarios like this; in fact just last week, and my son is 16. I bought him a pumpkin spice cookie from Mrs. Fields and told him it was on the counter. He said "Are you going to eat THIS one before I get to it?"

Hanging head in shame.

Be Inspired Always said...

That is great. LOL



I'm sure he'll hide it.


I love how he told you twice "don't do it again."




Jillian

Jenny said...

I so would have eaten the candy. That is one temptation that I just crumble over. Especially if that candy is any kind of CHOCOLATE! I thought it was cute that he said, "you're kidding, right?". Halloween is just around the corner and I may have to lock the candy up and give hubby the key! :D

Dionna said...

Oh - that just made me smile! I'm sure you felt so badly, but it still is quite humorous! Us adults even need a lesson a time or two in what does and doesn't belong to us - don't we?

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Yes, we had a similar situation at our house. I "borrowed" a dollar from Devyn's coat (her grandmother put it there), thinking she'd never notice. Such was not the case and I had to ask for forgiveness too. *Sigh* This mothering stuff is hard work!!

picturesofhisgrace said...

I am laughing......it's funny how they remember everything you think they wouldn't. Your blog is such a blessing to me! Thanks so much! Love you.

Terri said...

Too cute. I have had to ask for forgiveness with this 'sin' too. ;)

Mrs. C said...

Thank you for the laugh!

It's so nice to "know" another parent who would tell their child the truth and then ask for forgiveness. You are real and honest with them...they will never forget that.

Sarah said...

I ate the cherry off Caiden's milkshake once, and I never did it again. I didn't know a person could burst into tears that fast. Talk about feeling guilty! You are not alone in this :)

Grafted Branch said...

Mark my words...he will haunt you with this moment and that promise for months and months to come--if you're lucky.

A...uh...friend of mine did the same thing once. ;)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved