Monday, March 26, 2007

Full Circle

There is something to be said for a quiet home. And, since ours is a very active home, the only time it is truly quiet is when we are gone or most of the occupants are asleep. This afternoon it is the latter. . . Joshua and JCT are napping away, and I am enjoying peaceful music, an ice-cold glass of water with lemon, and a blank computer screen beckoning me to fill it with words. Tranquility. Thank You, Jesus. Because it is not always tranquil here. . . There are boys who argue, who too often fall or bump heads, and there is a mommy who is often tired, moody, and just plain easily irritated. And, it is in times like these, the tranquil moments, when I regroup, gather my thoughts and emotions, and get focused once again on what truly matters.

And, thinking about what truly matters, makes me think about my little Elijah growing and kicking inside of me. I am 34 weeks pregnant with Elijah. In a matter of weeks, my family will once again change. And, I will learn to juggle one more ball. I keep thinking about him. It is as if he could come any day now. . . and, I keep reminding myself that it will be a little while still. But, I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can hold him in my arms with his little newborn tree-frog legs and tiny baby feet.

Today as I put Joshua down for his nap, I layed down with him to sing him a song. I don't know why, but I love to lay beside him and play with his hair and his ears while I sing to him. So, I lay there and sang "I love you up to the moon" by Kim Hill. I have sung this to him since he was a newborn with tree-frog legs and baby feet. There is a line in it that I could never sing to him without crying when he was a baby. It says, "And, one day if you rise up and call me blessed, I'll say it was a joy to give you my best." Oh, that line used to get me everytime, and it still does from time to time. So, today as I sang to him and played with his soft red hair, I thought about how it truly seems like yesterday that I sang this song to him and kissed his newborn head. I could almost smell that newborn smell. And, Joshua just stared at me with eyes heavy, and my heart swelled. I told him every reason under the sun that I was proud of him and thankful that God gave him to me. He's not my baby anymore. How does that happen so quickly? I can't even recount how many mothers have told me to "enjoy these days. . . they grow up so fast." I am beginning to see the truth in that.

On another note entirely, but I wanted to mention it because it made me smile. Last night when I went to the church nursery to pick up Joshua and JCT, Julie took me aside. Julie is the head of our church nursery. She is always in the nursery, always. She is our children's constant and a blessing beyond measure!! She also keeps my boys on Fridays to give me a little time to work around the house, go to doctor's appointments, etc. Anyway, she had a young African American girl helping her last night. She said that JCT walked right up to Shodra and very plainly asked her,

"Are you chocolate?"

You may think my children never leave the house, but this is not true. JCT even has 4 African American cousins. Someday I will dedicate an entire post to my sister who has 8 children (4 of her own and 4 adopted). So, I am not sure why JCT was surprised by her dark skin?? But, the comment tickled me, nonetheless.

And, on that note, I am going to post one of my favorite new pics. This is Joshua and Kyleigh, my sister's youngest daughter.



Well, I hear JCT crying, the phone is ringing, and Rain just let out a little bark. The tranquility is about to give way to the activity of life once again. And, so we have come full circle, and I guess that is a good place to end.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to *meet* Elijah... I was just thinking the other day about how time was passing and I wondered how far along you were getting. Your boys are so precious and you are so wonderful.... your home is blessed.

Mrs. C said...

I love the innocence of a child's question.

uuu said...

i often lurk, rarely comment - i have so many blogs i love to read, but I had to thank you for this one. i found you through sarah - and have been inspired, touched and sometimes reduced to laughter with your posts. This one - well, this one made me cry! I am too pregnant with my 3rd and have found myself even more short tempered than usual, less patient, more irritable and other wonderfully NEGATIVE things with this pregnancy! i just put my little 6 year old to bed a while ago and after reading this, i had to go in. even though he was sleeping - i had to tell him how much i love him, how proud i am of him and say more prayers over him. how soon these precious days will be gone - .....

tomorrow - i will make a better effort to show my love, belief in and encouragement to my children, as i should every day - but for today, know you spoke to this mothers' heart!

thanks!!

Deidre said...

Very cute! And that picture is precious.

Wow, it won't be long until Elijah is here! I'm praying for you and your impending change.

Linda said...

That is such a sweet picture Erin. I'd love to hear that story some day. Our daughter is adopted. She is bi-racial and the picture brings back so many memories. She is all grown up now and a beautiful young woman inside and out. I love his question. He is so sweet.

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

What a beautiful picture! When my youngest was 2, he told a little African-American girl that she needed to use sunscreen so she doesn't ruin her skin. I thought I was going to fall over!

Sarah said...

Okay, I said this when you emailed it to me, but I LOVE this picture--I think it would be amazing printed in black and white and blown up to an 8 x 10. love it love it love it!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh... I got misty just reading this post. It reminded me all too well how fast time does fly. I feel like just yesterday I was holding our baby girl in our arms as a newborn and now I'm holding her newborn brother. I am so thankful, and blessed, that God has called ME to mother these two beautiful, children. What incredible gifts from God.

You have such a way with words, Erin, thank you for sharing them with me today! I, too, am anxious to meet your little Elijah!

Paula said...

I am so amazed and taken beak by my child when I stop and think about it too. Too often in the midst of raising children, making dinner, washing close, and cleaning house we can forget how wonderful it really is. So we thank God for the quiet times, even if it is just for a brief moment.

Thank you for the sweet post.

Ivey's Mom said...

Erin-this is such a sweet post. And a tribute to 'kids say the darndest things!'

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

I am new to your blog, and I am an adoptive Mom. Your posts are great but I had to mention the correct term when speaking of biological children is just that biological children, not "her own". If the children who come into a family through adoption either hears or reads such a statement then they make think they are not the parents "own" children and that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm sure your sister mentioned it already.

Thanks for letting me share!!

I love your blog!!
Cindy

Kim said...

Beautiful Erin! What a sweet time with your boy and how nice to have a few minutes to yourself which you turn into a time to speak the blessings of others in your life. That is selfless. I'm sure he will rise up and call you blessed!

Gorgeous picture! I would love to hear more about your sister's adoption...with this adoption from China being a reality...I still think God may have us to adopt again! Please post on it if you can!

Praying for you and baby Elijah this morning.

Kim

Girl Raised in the South said...

Are you Chocolate? Love love that!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved