Thursday, April 05, 2007

Sweet Tea and Other Southern Goodness. . .


I was raised in the South by Midwestern born and bred parents. Though Dixieland surrounded me, my home was still very much a product of my parents' heritage though I did not realize this until years later. I grew up cheering for Bobby Knight's Hoosiers, and eating my veggies steamed. Butter beans? What are those? I grew up calling them lima beans. And, Mom was always called "Mom" or "Mommy" but never "Mama." Yes, we drank tea. I can still see my mom's jars of tea sitting in the backyard sunshine. We drank tea, but it was lacking a key ingredient found in Southern tea - sugar. We drank unsweet tea, and, believe it or not, we liked it, a lot.

Enter Erik.

I fell head over heels for this New Orleans boy, pure Southern goodness. He had a drawl, bears a strikingly similar resemblance to Harry Connick, Jr., and I think if one were to look up the word gentleman in the dictionary, there just might be a picture of him next to the definition. To say that I was taken by this Southern boy is an understatement. But, I'm going to try not to get sidetracked. Moving on. . .

I always thought adding sugar to tea was an unecessary addition of calories. But, for the first time in my life, I liked sweet tea, I really liked it. Something about sitting next to Erik on a porch swing sipping sweet tea seemed to be just about the sweetest thing I'd ever done. Erik used to tell me that good sweet tea is like the stuff they pour over snow cones - syrup.

I learned that there is a monumental difference between tomatoes purchased in the grocery store and the ones grown in his parent's garden. I had my first tomato sandwich with him - whoever heard of such! His absolute favorite meal is Cornbread (and don't insult him by making Jiffy - cornbread should not be sweet!) with all kinds of vegetables piled on top of it - butter beans, black-eyed peas, green beans, cream corn, etc. You can always throw a tomato in - he loves those. Oh, and then for dessert - Mississippi Mud Pie, Chess Pie, or simply a slice of watermelon with salt sprinkled on it will do just fine. And, molasses, he loves thick, sticky, ooey, gooey molasses on a biscuit. I don't care how adorably cute he is, I still can't stomach that one - not even after 8 years of marriage and 3 children.

When I finally had the awesome privilege of becoming his wife, I had to learn to cook all over again. Vegetables are to be cooked for hours, never steamed, never crunchy, always tender. They are best either from a can or bought fresh in a farmers market and cooked slowly, very slowly. And, gravy, I have yet to master this one. We didn't make gravy often at my house growing up. So, this has become Erik's job. Now when we visit my home for Christmas or Thanksgiving, my mom calls Erik into the kitchen to make the gravy. She has given him the illustrious title of "The Roux Master." Between Erik and Cecilia (my brother's wife) my family has truly changed. We even had Cornbread dressing at Thanksgiving this year. I had no idea what I was missing all those years! Southerners know how to cook. I didn't say it was healthy, but it is good.

And, Southern boys. . . I love them. Gentlemen. And, every now and then I see a glimpse of the South in one of my sons. Joshua will say something with a very evident drawl, and I will smile to myself. "Mama, I bumped my he-ead." He loves cornbread and homemade biscuits with strawberry perserves on them. I think the first two words he put together were, "Yes, Ma'am." And, just yesterday he held the door open for a complete stranger at Wal-Mart. (The only problem was that it was the bathroom door, and I was gagging as I watched his freshly cleaned hands touch the door. But, in the name of good manners, I kept my mouth shut and let him do the polite thing.) I am raising myself a little Southern gentleman. And, I love it. There really is no place on earth that I would rather raise my boys.

And, now the little story that made me sit and contemplate all this. . . As we walked our daily walk around the neighborhood the other day, Joshua said, "Mama, I want to name the horses." (There is a family that lives down the road from us that has 8 horses roaming their land. 4 of the horses are brown and 4 are white.) I said, "Sure, honey, go ahead and name them." He thought for a moment, and then very confidently declared, "The white ones are named Sugar. And, the brown ones are named Sweet Tea." I smiled to myself as I looked down at my little Southern Sweetheart. And, I felt my heart swell with a little good old Southern pride.
The picture above is of the land that the Sweet teas and Sugars usually roam, but unfortunately they were in the barn today. I don't blame them. I am not sure what happened to spring, but it is feeling a bit like winter around here lately. . .

16 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm delurking, because I just had to!

I love it! I'm from Arkansas and when we moved to Florida for 2 years we were so out of our element... We regained our senses and have recently moved 'home.' There is just nothing like the south...(the part of FL we were in was "in" the south, but not "of" the south.

My mother-in-law has a sweet-tea jug and nothing but sweet-tea goes into it. My family (also in Arkansas) likes tea not quite so sweet- my husband calls their tea "diabetic tea." They call our tea "syrup."

Kelly said...

I have to say that I really should have been born in the south... my life was changed when I had my first sip of sweet tea and I have never gone back!

My friends tease me mercilessly about my sweet tea/ syrup, yet I notice when I have guests it is the pitcher that needs refilled first:-)

Your boys are sure to grow up to be the most charming of men... southern gentlemen!

Jen said...

That is cute! We love the south too:) esp, the sweet tea. One day, his wife will appreciate the gentleman you all are molding.

Erin said...

Lelslie Ann, I just have to say that Erik and I had the same experience!! We lived in FL for one year, and we missed the "south" so much! If you order tea there, you automatically get unsweet tea! My sister's husband is from Florida, and he brings a little Cuban flair to our family!! :-)

Mrs. C said...

This NY'er actually grew up with sweet tea and tomato sandwiches...everything else is foreign to my palette. But the former was a summer staple in our house - with home grown tomatos of course! Yum!

Sarah said...

Erin, if you could see me right now, you'd know I'm GREEN with envy at your beautiful neighborhood!

Sweet tea is something I had to acquire a taste for, too, when I met Chris. Well, it wasn't much acquiring--it took about 2 seconds. But we always drank it plain when I was growing up. Now the thought of it makes me gag.

Love you, sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you I nominated you for a blogging award. You can see my blog for more details. Also, i was looking for your post about how important you take the job of raising your boys. If you remember that post, a nd know which one it is can you email me the link?
kiliblog@cox.net

Linda said...

I was raised up north, but the first time (of many times) I read "Gone With the Wind" I began a love affair with the south.
We live in Texas now - pretty much south of NY. I love it, love it!!
When my sil from NC visits, her one contribution to the meals is always sweet tea. Apparently even us Texans don't make sweet tea the proper way.
I love it that you're raising southern gentlemen.

Girl Raised in the South said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girl Raised in the South said...

My husband and I have finally come to a compromise. Thanksgiving, we have cornbread dressing (although it's nowhere near as good as my mother made, with little pieces of chicken in it) and at
Christmas we make the bread dressing he grew up eating. I don't understand how he cant taste the difference and long for what I love, but the man does not even like cornbread or biscuits - or blackeyed peas, or sweet tea, or salt on his melon. I love him in spite of it all, but I did buy myself a can of hominy when I was in the grocery store last evening and it will make quite the perfect lunch, just zapped in the microwave with some salt and pepper. I'll eat the entire can, all by myself, thinking on all the wonderful dishes my mother used to make. Paula Deene - my hero!

Delete said...

Erin-

What a precious post. I am a transplant to the south having moved here from California 3 years ago. My daughters were 4 and 22 months. I sure hope they suck in some of the southern sweetness around them because I would be thrilled for them to epitomize girls raised in the South!

Paula said...

What a sweet story. Your stories are always sweet.

I am very simular. My father was born in Germany, so the food I grew up on were very European. Then I met Chris. I love Southern food and I will not look back. We also had sun tea unsweetened. HUH?? I was missing out. I love sweet tea. Do you have a Pals?? Great sweet tea.

Anonymous said...

By the way I understand the weather. i don't know how far "south" you are but here in Oklahoma we had snow flurries. Yes, and yet Tuesday I was at the zoo in 75 degree weather....
go figure...

AW said...

I am de-lurking today too! I was raised partly in Hawaii and partly in Missouri. My childhood was always a mix of Japanese (mom) and Midwest (dad). But 9 years ago, Fate decided I was to become a Southern gal. (If a half-Japanese, half Irish girl can become a Southern gal, it can only be done in Texas!)

I married the perfect Texas born-bred gentleman! I can count on one hand how many times I've opened a door or had to order for myself out to eat. I love how he treats me like a princess and how I always feel protected with him next to me. I love how he loves his Momma and treats her like a queen. He is the epitome of EXACTLY what I want my son to become - a Southern gentleman. I so look forward to passing that legacy down to him.

Just LOVED this post!

Andi

Cornbread CAN be sweet, but only if it's served for breakfast with honeybutter. And sweet tea is the only Right way to drink tea! :-D

Kim said...

I loved this post!!! So sweet!

Hope you are doing well! Still praying for you and that baby!


Kim

FaceforGrace said...

I am also delurking to comment on this one...I was raised in the South (in between Baton Rouge and New Orleans) by very Northern parents. Know the scripture that says we should be "in the world, but not of the world"? Well, I was raised "in the south, but not of the south"; that is of course until I met and married my husband. I became "of the south" rather quickly. I as well had to learn to cook all over again. And I'm sad to admit that after 11 years of marriage (which is roughly, oh say several thousand meals that I've made) I'm still not too good at the southern cooking thing. My husband jokes that I need to find and attend a good "Roux School"! I have to agree with him!

I love this post and I really enjoy reading your blog. You must have one of the sweetest spirits around.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved