Friday, April 20, 2007

Treasured Stored

Warning: I wrote this after a conversation with Erik on the way home from the OB (which by the way I was 3cm and 80% effaced ;-). The conversation resulted in this overly emotional 37 week pregnant mama crying because she didn't want her little boys to grow up. To say the least, I am a bit hormonal at present. This is just a little disclaimer! Love to you all!

Treasures Stored

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
Holding you close when you were brand new,
Staring at the two of us in the mirror,
Unable to comprehend why God would bless me so much.

You may not remember,
But, I will never forget,
The sound of your laughter ringing in the cool spring air,
As I chased you around the trees in the backyard,
Your joy filled my heart to overflowing.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
Our afternoon snacks,
Sitting on the floor sharing cookies and milk,
And, listening to you talk, your imagination running wild.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
Holding you close in our big brown chair,
Reading books to you over and over,
While rain fell softly on the roof.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
How sweetly you love on me,
The way you grab my face with both hands and kiss me,
The way you hug my legs and reach up for me to hold you.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
The way you smell after bathtime,
The softness of your sweet skin,
The silkiness of your baby fine hair.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
The smiles we exchange in the rearview mirror of the car,
The tickles, the giggles, the bedtime routines,
The morning snuggles, the prayers, and the sound of you singing.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
When you are older and grown,
And, I catch a glimpse of the child in you,
The child I held so closely and loved so dearly.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
These blessings from God,
These precious memories of your early years,
of our time together.

You may not remember,
But I will never forget,
These treasures stored deeply in my heart,
And, I will ponder them often,
These sweet treasures stored.

21 comments:

Kari C in SC said...

Awww...that is beautiful! I could so relate to all of it - my oldest baby is 18 and my youngest is 2. It really does go so fast and you captured the words perfectly! Thanks for sharing.

Donnetta said...

Oh Erin, hormonal or not, this was absolutely beautiful!!!

Know I am praying as you near the big day with the official welcome of this little guy into your lives and family!!! Sounds like you are well on your way!

Praying....

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

That was absolutely beautiful! You moved me to tears! You captured a mother-child relationship perfectly. Thank you for sharing the words of your heart.

Hang in there! I remember what it was like to wait and wait and wait, especially at 4cm dilated and 75% effaced. It sounds like you may have a little one who just won't be rushed! =)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Gorgeous. And filled with truth.

Thanks for being a reminder for me today of the important versus the urgent things in life.

Linda said...

That is just a precious, precious poem Erin. It looks as though the big day is almost here. I will be praying for you and the little one (and the guys too).
I think that although they may not remember all of those things, the sum total of them is a remembrance of a mother who loved with all her heart. And that they will never forget.
Stay well dear one.

Michelle Peacock said...

This is so beautiful! My babies are now 17 and nearly 15. They have lived away from me since 1996 so I can really appreciate this poem. Wow! I pray your little guy will come soon--I remember those emotional days at the end, waiting and waiting. God bless you!

Paula said...

How sweet. Nothing about that is hormonal. That is momma's love!!

I hope you have a new addition soon.

Sarah said...

3 cm, hooray! That means you're 30% done with labor, and it hasn't even started! Keep that baby in there and dilate, dilate, dilate, woman! It'll make the end result sooooo much easier--from one natural birther to another :)


And I promise you that those sweet moments just get sweeter as little boys get bigger. Don't be sad, sweet friend. Love you!!

Girl Raised in the South said...

I didn't intend to comment, just skimming through posts to catch up, but this is PRECIOUS, and I know you've already printed it out, in a nice font, and framed it for their baby scrapbooks, right? Right.

Big Mama said...

Well, I'm not hormonal...at least not much and that moved me to tears. I hate to see the time slipping away.

Mrs. C said...

I loved this! There are so many moments when I am reminded of how much my boys have grown - and recall what has past. I want them to grow up in what He has called and created them to be...but there are times that I think back and remember what was before...I can't blame that on hormones!

Thank you for sharing.

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Well, the warning didn't work! I'm boo-hooing over here....in a very good way. : )

Jennifer said...

Amen! What a precious poem. Congrats on the imminent arrival. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a great poem. Love it!

Deidre said...

That's great....3cm!
I love this poem. What a treasure for your boys.

Praying for you....

Anonymous said...

Hello sweetness. I've been thinking of you, as I often do, wishing I would say more on here because your posts touch my heart as always. I'm always checking on you, praying for you, thinking of that baby who is preparing to arrive.... the past few weeks have been kind of hard and I desperately need to reconnect (in blogland and everywhere else), but I just wanted to say hi again. I haven't forgotten you. You are still one of my faves. :)

And from the growth of your comments, it looks like the blog world is discovering what a treasure YOU are! You are such a blessing.

Anonymous said...

I was not surprised AT ALL to hear that you're not spending as much time at the computer. I do appreciate your comment so much because of this! I am praying for you and with you for this next chapter of your family's life..... cannot wait to meet Elijah!! And see his beautiful face... and your boys with him. Love you, girl.

Sara said...

Oh, where is Elijah? Oh, where is Elijah, oh where oh where oh where oh where, oh where.....is Elijah? Love you. Praying and thinking about you lots.
sara

Anonymous said...

Did you have him? Is he here?! Did he come on my birthday?! :)

Sarah said...

Erin Elizabeth, where is that baby of yours? I'm dying to see him! Not that you're busy at all right now . . . :)

But seriously? Post a teeny, tiny little picture of him, okay?

And THANK YOU! for the beautiful notecards! I love them!!

Jen said...

Beautiful! The memories are so precious.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved