Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Waiting Game

Waiting. . . This is new to me. Joshua shocked us! My first time ever to be "checked" by my OB, and this primagravita was already 3cm and 80% effaced. And, I had not felt a single contraction. . .

And, with JCT I never even made it to the appointment where my OB checks me for the first time. My water broke the night before I was to go to my 37 week appt. 4 hours later I was holding a newborn with one hand and scratching my head with the other. . .

Now, Elijah, his is a different story - and mostly this is my own fault. I started thinking he might come when I turned 36 weeks. Now as I am slowly approaching 38 weeks, he feels late. People keep asking me if I am feeling anything. My answer, "Nothing. I think he likes it in there." I think he likes it a little too much! This multigravita was a mere 1 cm at my last OB appt. 1 measly cm.

Erik pointed out last night that he thought it was a good thing. His statement was something like this. . . "We have been so busy with the renovation and gettting the house ready that we haven't spent much time thinking about Elijah. I think it is a good thing that for the past few weeks we have been focused on him." And, I agree that he does deserve some sweet attention. . .

But, come on, sweet one, I want to see you. I see your heels and fists poking through my skin, and Lord knows I feel them. But, I am eager for more of you. . . Come, my little one, come. I am thankful that God controls this process. This is making you unique already. The only child I have had to wait on. . . Is this a glimpse at what you will be like later? I can't wait to find out. But, one thing is for certain - you are worth waiting for, my little guy, definitely worth the wait! Inevitably, Godspeed, you will come. Though at times it feels that you may stay inside me forever, you won't. You will emerge. And, I pray that you will emerge with great vigor - a robust cry and good color! Erik will hand you to me, and finally, finally, I will hold this child for whom I have prayed! And, I will kiss your sweet newborn skin and marvel over your tiny fingers.

And, then it will hit me - the sleepless nights, crying spells, and breastfed stools are back. . .

Oh, my.

Maybe I can wait another week or two. . .

Nahhh. . . You are worth it - come, sweet love, come. We are waiting - whenever you are ready. . .

9 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh, Erin, I just LOVED this post! I remember the anxiousness of wanting to hold my newborn son and just wanting him to be outside of my body! =) I will pray that Elijah will make his appearance soon. I can't wait to "meet" the newest addition to your family.

Deidre said...

Oh, I didn't realize you were so close to the end. How exciting! I've had to wait for both of mine and it can be a little difficult, but afterwards when each was crying all night, I would think, "Why didn't I enjoy those last few weeks?" :)

I pray all goes well with you and the baby during the next couple of weeks!

Linda said...

I am smiling....I can remember hating to go anywhere (including church) because I was two weeks late with my first child and everyone who saw me said "Are you still here?" I got to feeling like I was sadly disappointing everyone.
Seriously, just rest and relax. He will be here soon - on the very day God planned before the foundation of the world. That thought just blows my mind!!

Lori said...

Oh my goodness so exciting!!!!

Sarah said...

You are so funny, little Erin. I can hear your voice as I read this post!

It's a good thing you don't know Bridget--her second baby was EIGHT DAYS LATE, and I thought she was going to lose her mind. But her daughter was born on Bridget's birthday, and almost a year later she says it was worth the wait. Of course, that's easy for me to say. I never carried anybody more than 38 1/2 weeks. :)

Love you!!

Mrs. C said...

I am SO EXCITED for you!!!

Anonymous said...

oh how exciting! I am so excited for you....

Drea said...

wow! im surprised ur not in labor :-) almost here.

Drea said...

btw love your blog template


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved