Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Little Sacrifice

I only have a minute, and I will tell you why. . .

Because I have done something reckless, something completely unlikely. . . at least for me. . .

I have taken naptime and layed it in on the altar. I have given naptime, a.k.a. "me time," to my Father for Him to use as He wishes. Now this may not sound like a big deal to some, but to me it is HUGE. You see, I love "me time." It usually takes place around 1:00 p.m. And, some days I begin looking forward to it and planning each minute of it as early as 6:00 a.m. (when I wake up). Now that is sad. And, if one of my babes decides not to sleep during naptime, I find myself extremely frustrated with them. It is as if they owe it to me to give me at least an hour. My attitude is a lot like this. . .

Now, come on, child. I give you my all every other hour of the day. Can't I have at least one hour to myself. Really. . .

Now in my heart of hearts I know that these thoughts are absurd. I gave those rights away when I gave birth. They owe me nothing, and I owe them everything.

I guess it hit me one day last week. Elijah went to sleep around 11:45. So, I hurried the boys through lunch. They got down from the table ready to play while I cleaned up because that is our usual routine. But, this day Mama had a different agenda. I wisked a very frustrated and confused JCT up to his bed. No stories. One quick song. Jesus Loves Me was the choice if I remember correctly because it is not a long song. I layed him in his crib. I left him looking up at me completely dumbfounded. Then, I raced downstairs. Joshua was hiding again. Ugghh. So, instead of playing his little game, I loudly said, "Come out Joshua. It is time for nappy-time." Nothing. "Come on. I mean it." He came out, and I quickly layed him down in my room. No book. One song.

Ahhhh. . . The house was quiet. I had hurried everyone to their respective places for naptime an hour early, and none of my sweet guys complained. They all trusted that the reason for my urgency was worth their full cooperation. None of them questioned me. And, so there I was. Alone. I got something to drink, a couple monitors, and a book. Then, I went outside and sat down in a rocker on the back porch. But, something was missing. I didn't feel relaxed or at peace. I still felt a bit hurried. What was wrong? I had exactly what I had been longing for all day. I was alone. It was quiet. But, it didn't feel right. I didn't feel right. I wasn't enjoying myself. Why not? And, then it hit me. Guilt.

Now you may read this and think that I did nothing wrong. But, that isn't what my heart and my spirit felt. We are all on unique journeys. God has really been speaking to me lately about a variety of things. My priorities and my selfishness have been at the top of the list. And, I heard God whispering in my ear that afternoon, asking me to give Him that which I hold so dear, my alone time. After several days of pondering it, I finally relinquished my rights to naptime.

Now what does it look like to give God naptime? I'm figuring that out. I am praying each day that He will show me what to do with the time. Somedays it may work out that they all go down at the same time. But, most days it doesn't. I am lucky if I get a 15 minute overlap. And, since the time isn't mine anymore, I am not so frustrated when JCT wakes up 30 minutes after I put him down (Tuesday). It also means that somedays God may whisper to me to let Joshua skip his nap or at least part of it in order to have some good, long one on one time with me.

Today's naptime has been well spent. I made hot chocolate and read to Joshua from The World of Pooh. And, as I read to him, he took a spoon and ate the whipped cream off the top of my hot chocolate (just another way I am attempting to be selfless - thinking of him better than myself and all :-). After we finished reading, I felt refreshed and peaceful. It felt good. Better, I must admit, than a naptime spent filling my needs. That is just so like Him. Whatever we lay at His feet, He takes and gives us so much more in return. One late night when I was in college, struggling because my love for a certain young man was becoming so consuming that I felt he was coming between me and my First Love. So, I sat on my dormroom bed with eyes full of tears, and I layed all 6 foot 7 inches of the man I loved down at His feet. And, a couple years later He gave that man to me to be my husband. He has more than proven Himself faithful.

Okay, I am getting a bit dramatic. This is just naptime. . . And, I do realize that I need some time, too. Don't worry. I get time alone. I make sure of that. It just may not come in the neat little 2 hour package it used to. . .

Dying to self. God has taught me more about dying to myself through parenting than any other way. Sometimes it is hard, but it is always good.

And, to steal one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite books - Passion and Purity. . .

I have layed naptime on the altar.

Now what will become of the ashes. . .

I can't wait to find out!! I suspect the ashes will include a lot of laughs, games, meaningful conversations, and hot chocolate - with or without whipped cream!

15 comments:

Terri said...

Waht a wonderful reminder! Thank you for always sharing your heart. I, too, have had a lot of lessons in 'dying to my flesh' since becoming a wife and mother. You are so right ... it is worth every minute of it. I know our Father will bless you each and every day!

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing this, Erin.

Jackson said...

I had this same profound moment about 6 months ago... It's not the "Ali show" and not everything lines up to my performance. It's about waking up each day and wondering what God has in store for today... quiet time or not.

Sarah said...

Oh Erin, God is doing something in both of us, have you read my post today? Yours is exactly the encouragement I needed! I too treasure that "me time" during naptime, but what would become of the ashes if I layed it on the alter? Probably all the objects of my prayer at the end of my post. Thank you Lord for speaking to me through Erin today!
Sarah

Deidre said...

Wow, Erin. God has used you to speak to me clearly. I, too, have been struggling with selfishness in this area. I have found when my 5 year old is having an 'off day' or if I am, I force her to nap....when she is clearly out of the nap-stage. She, too, looks at me with trusting eyes and obeys, but the guilt overwhelms me.

I'm trying to make some sense out of our time here (especially now that summer is here). I'm so concerned with how I'm going to handle having her here ALL day everyday, which should be a wonderful blessing, but because of my selfishness, I've somewhat dreaded it. I know....I'm terrible. I'm praying diligently that God will give me direction on how to prioritize my day so that my girls get the best of me and not the frustrated, selfish part of me.

Thanks so much for posting this. I know it took courage, but again, God is using it!

Linda said...

Something just sort of "clicked" in my heart as I read this Erin. It is the things we hold so tightly in our clenched fists that He often wants us to release to Him. And - as you have so wisely said - when we do, He takes them and makes something priceless of them. I believe it is a lesson we learn over and over again - this dying to self. I am so proud of you. Your wisdom and love for the Lord just grow and grow.

Anonymous said...

I feel a bit of conviction reading this post. Just today I thought of the millions of ways I could better use my time when my son naps. I thought of my recent post about growing deeper with God and realized, he is giving me so much time to do so, and I have not been paying attention....I think tomorrow will be a little different. I'll email you how it goes! Let me know about yours too.

PS- Side note: The shirts you ordered for your boys, did you do it online or at a local place where you live? I need to get going if I'm gonna do that.

Big Mama said...

I'm also working on the letting go of what I hold the most dear. Great post, Erin.

Alycia said...

You are such an encouragement to me Erin and I love reading your posts. God has been speaking to me about this too ~ mostly in the time I spending with my new-found hobby of blogging. Thanks for sharing your perspective...you are such a blessing.

Paula said...

Ouch! The feeling of frustration and "you owe me" is a feeling I get when I don't get my "me time" during naptime. WOW! You are right, that was all waved at birth. I have struggled with starting my day early for years. Maybe that would be the best quiet time. Before my day begins.

Amy said...

Thanks for a wonderful, truthful post. It's so nice to see how God is working in other's lives. He has taken me on such a journey also. I really enjoy reading your blog.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I commend you... Its so hard when you feel God calling you to "die to self" and then taking the steps to actually do it. I think God will make something beautiful of these ashes. And I have to admit, I'm a little envious that you get this time with your children like you do. This was beautifully written, Erin. Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer said...

I need to read this...but I DON"T WANT TO! I struggle with the same thoughts. You know I am struggling with my own selfishness right now in a big way...But, naptime?? :-)Not sure what that means for me. Hmm...

Marc and Charity said...

Ok, I'm delurking today...I've been dropping in from time to time and I enjoy reading your blog. This post has really made me think b/c I'm struggling with the same thing. My 2 yr. old takes her naps most days, but I get so frustrated that my 12 month old is so inconsistent and when she wakes up early or does not sleep at all I'm absolutely ticked. I've had such a bad attitude about this and I appreciate your honesty so much. This is just ONE area that I feel I must take to the Lord and get some perspective. Thanks so much!

Melissa said...

A great reminder for us all to be willing to put others before ourselves. It is something we all struggle with - thank you for sharing your journey.....


Blessings,
melissa


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved