Monday, July 02, 2007

Well, she just don't run like she used to. . .

I went for my first run in 11 months this week, and it was, for a lack of better words, sad.

Try #1

I have been missing my evening jogs for a while now. Missing them, longing for them. . . So, you can imagine how excited I was when Erik called me one evening last week at 5:30. I could hear his radio in the background, so I knew he was in the car on his way home. Hallelujah!! 5:30 is early for my Erik, so I was thrilled. I immediately suggested to him that we take turns running. He agreed. So, as he walked in the door, I high-fived him and headed out! I was walking on air, smiling at the setting sun! It was a good day, or so it seemed. . .

I am not much of a warmer upper or a cooler downer. I just like to run. So, I did my token stretches. You know, just in case Erik looked out the window and saw me start to run without stretching. The last thing I wanted was some lecture about research proving the benefit of stretching prior to exercise in the prevention of sports related injuries. That would definitely be a downer, and I was in much too good a mood for that - no matter how cute he looks when he lectures - all professional and everything. I just wanted to be out on the open road and feel the wind in my hair (if only there was the slightest breeze - but you get the idea).

Anyway, I didn't just want to go for a leisurely jog. No, that would be much too layed back and easy, and three words that will never describe me are layed back and easy. No, I wanted to not only run 2 miles, but to run them in my old time. You know, my old time, my best time. Never mind the fact that since I last ran 11 months have passed, one baby has been had, and 15 pounds have been added to my frame. None of that really matters. I had something to prove to myself. So, I looked at my watch and took off like a shot!!! As I began running, I smiled thinking to myself about how nice it will be to walk in the house and brag to my husband about how good I felt and how fast I ran. I'd tell him my time, and then dare him to try and beat it! It was really a nice little daydream. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and that is a good thing because it was the closest I was going to get to being able to boast.

I really did feel good. . . at the beginning. But, honestly it didn't last long. I think it was at the 1/2 mile mark that I noticed my ankle was hurting a bit. No biggie. I'm tough. I have run through side cramps that would have left a weaker woman on her knees, or at least walking. So, I continued. A few minutes later my knee started hurting. I slowed my pace a little. It got worse. Sharp pains, hard pains. But, I kept running, with a serious limp. I couldn't quit. Neighbors passed me and waved. Their looks of pity confirmed my fear that I looked like a wounded race horse who refused to give up long after she should have. But, I kept on. . . for a while. But, finally at about the one mile mark, I quit. I hate that word. Quit, gave up, gave in, began walking. And, if you were looking carefully, you just might have seen a little drop of water coming from my eye, maybe. It was a sad day for me as I walked with a slight limp back to the house. I had hardly been gone 10 minutes. I wanted to smile and tell Erik that I was finished and I felt great. But, that would not only have been a lie, but also he never would have believed me. So, with my tail between my knees, I walked slowly up the driveway and into the house.

I'm just thankful he didn't ask me if I stretched really well prior to running.

Try#2

Well, I couldn't give up after just one try. Erik got home at 5:30 again the next night, so I got all dressed up in my running duds ready to hit the road again. Erik instructed me to run and walk. Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. . . I wanted to run. So, I decided to pace myself and run very slowly. I started out at a turtle pace. I ran about a half a mile, and my knee hurt the entire time. So, I decided that Erik may just know what he's talking about, and I better follow his advice and walk for a while. After a few minutes of walking, I tried to run again to no avail. My knee felt like it was just about to pop, and it hurt in a way that made me afraid to run on it for fear of doing far greater damage to it. So, I went back to walking.

As I topped the hill I like to call heartbreak, I heard a gang of dogs barking and running towards me. No biggie. I know these dogs. They have bothered me for years. Except this time I notice that there is a new dog. And, it isn't just any ordinary new dog. It is a fully grown dog of the doberman pincher breed. I'll admit that my heart may have started beating a little bit faster at this point. But,I reminded myself that I am not afraid of big dogs. I mean, after all, the first dog I ever owned was a Newfoundland, and I am now the proud owner of a Weimeraner. Big dogs, Smig Smogs. They may sound horribly scary, but they just want to lick you to death. I've always liked big dogs.

The only problem was that this big dog didn't like me, at least not on its property. It growled, it barked, it lunged, it ran circles around me, putting its mouth against my calf over and over. I really thought it might bite me. I have not been that scared in a long time, perhaps my whole life. In the distance I could see the owner of this crazed dog running after it yelling, "Zelda, Come, Zelda, Stop." Well, Zelda wasn't listening. Zelda didn't like me. And, I thought the owner was never going to get to me in time to save me. His driveway is probably an eighth of a mile long, so it took him a while. The Doberman was much faster. He finally got to us, grabbed Zelda and leashed her.

Thank you.

He apologized, but all I could say was, "I had no idea. . ." I had no idea that they had a new dog. I had no idea that the new dog was so aggressive. I had no idea that my run could get any worse. My hurt knee was enough. This was over the top. It was time to head home.

So, I, once again, walked with a slight limp back to the house, but this time there wasn't just one tear in my eye. There were more like one hundred tears pouring forth from my eyes - if only it could have been sweat running down my face instead of tears. I walked into the house, took one look at Erik, and said what I had been thinking the entire time I walked home, "I just want to run." I don't want my knee to hurt. I don't want scary dogs to attack me. I just want to run. . . like I used to. He assured me that I would, in fact, run again, patted me on the back, listened to me ramble about Zelda for a few moments, and then went out to run.

3 miles.

Without knee pain.

Without meeting Zelda along the way.

But, I'm not bitter.

Not the least bit.

So, what is the moral of this story? I'm leaning somewhere between. . . Pride comes before a fall (or a meeting with Zelda). And, more research proving the benefit of stretching prior to exercise in the reduction of sports related injuries.


17 comments:

TheNormalMiddle said...

You're fast ahead of me. I have a sayin' I like to use on the subject of running:

I don't run unless something is chasing me. Or if there is a buffet line I need to get in.

Those are the only 2 times I run. Period.

Linda said...

Being old enough to be your mother - I offer no running advice. I am a walker. I have tried running. It hurts. So I don't do that any more. However, we have now taken up bike riding. That hurts too. My legs (which I thought were in great shape from all the above mentioned walking) scream in pain every time we come to that dad gum hill (Heart break would work for this one as well). But I do have a certain amount of pride. So I keep on pedaling. One of these days I figure the pain will either go away or I'll just be able to bear it better.
In all seriousness Erin - I think you'll be out there running like the wind in very little time. Just don't forget to stretch.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Quite frankly, I am 100% impressed with your running ability. I'd love to have the discipline to run even a mile. =) I think you're making incredible progress...

Ivey's Mom said...

I like the bit about the dogs! Pace yourself!!! YOU JUST HAD A B.A.B.Y! You will get back to it. Don't forget that you are also somewhere down south and it is HUMID, which makes it harder. You'll get it back soon.

Kelly said...

I think it is precious that you and your husband tag team your runs... would love to share something with my husband like that! Except it would have to be something that didn't involve sweating. Or pain. I think maybe sharing our children is going to have to be enough for us:-)

Michelle said...

(((hugs)))..now advice just support! :-)

AW said...

Okay...I know I don't know you and you don't know me outside of Blogland. But...

YOU ARE A CRAZY WOMAN!!!

I say that with nothing but love and affection from the deepest part of my heart. :-)

Seriously Erin...you just gave birth to a child what...8...9 weeks ago? If you had the expectation on me that you have on yourself about getting into the swing of things, I'd jump off a bridge. I love your ambition, but goodness...be gentle on yourself!

*a stranger stepping off her soap box*

:-)

JavaMama said...

Oh my gosh! I was laughing so hard, not at you of course but just laughing! I can not imagine meeting Zelda, I would have completely flipped out but I am not a big fan of big dogs. I share your passion for running and can not wait to be able to again. I have been dreaming of going for a run since baby #3, I thought today is the day.. but then it rained again. I never stretch, shame on me and I do not like to ease my way back into it! I just like to run.

When I finally do get to go for a run... I will be thinking of you and keeping my eye out for big dogs!! He he he.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli@ www.javamama.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I just have to say I do NOT like running.
Thank you.

Kim said...

Ha/Ha!!!

I am laughing because I feel your pain...I know your pain. I experience your pain. I had the week off from running last week because we were in the Mountains...My leg had been bothering me anyway, so I thought a break would be good for me. I am heading tomorrow morning for my first run since the trip. I know my knees will hurt...but there is nothing like running! Everyone says I should walk and I have and do sometimes...but it just doesn't get my heart rate up enough...I just love to run!

I hope your pain gets better and the dogs stay away. I will usually go in the opposite direction when I see a dog and have been known to add a few miles just to avoid a strange dog.

Kim

Alison said...

May I step out from lurkdom and suggest orthotics? They make an incredicle difference, and I suspect you will be running again in no time. I had incredicle cry myself to sleep pain in my knee during a week of cooking at our church camp. It continued into that fall and I would be almost unable to walk after taking my daughter to school. After a bit of physio and custom made orthotics, I can do anything again.

Like the others have said though, don't be too hard on yourself. Pace yourself so you can enjoy the break. Cheers!

Paula said...

Be proud of your self and your accomplishment thus far. Be proud of the fact that after three children you still havethe desire to run!! Think about the advice you would give a dear friend after having a baby and not running for 11 months. Take your own advice and don't be hard on your self. You are doing great.

Laura said...

I recently found your blog and had to comment on this one!!

I too just had a baby...last week! I am a runner and have dreams of getting my shoes on again and going so far. I know that is not going to happen anytime soon. You made me laugh with your descriptions of the first time out!

Be patient with yourself. YOu are already doing a big job of taking care of those sweet kids. I know I won't be lacing up my shoes until at least Christmas! I can dream of running until then and that is enough.

Leslie said...

I was the "Rudy" of track in high school. Seriously, everyone stood on the sidelines (they had already finished their running) and cheered me on while I dragged myself to the end.

Now I'm 34 and will run my first 5K on July 28th.

And after 2 months of training, I am up to running...

1/4 mile.

I've been told it's okay to run/walk the 3 miles as long as I entire the running category.

So, Erin, my hat's off to you!

Leslie said...

Sorry, that should say ENTER, not entire.

Mrs. C said...

You are so great!

Ahhh...I loved running in college. I wasn't a crazy runner but I enjoyed running for 2-3 miles. It relaxed me. I felt good and refreshed. Maybe that doesn't make sense because I was stinky and wet and in need of true refreshing!

Anyway, you are well ahead of me because right now, I am very good at walking. But I will admit tucked in the back of my mind is the hope that someday I will be able to run again - without pain.

Sarah said...

Oh, dear girl. I'm sorry, but I laughed at you! With love, of course :)

Forget the stretching--you need to walk for a full FIVE minutes first, then stretch. You can't stretch cold muscles! The first time I ran after having Grayson I tried to run 6 miles. I ended up with a stress fracture that took eight weeks to heal! I missed running so much, that I just tried to jump back in. And then ended up on the sidelines for two months.

Just enjoy being out of the house, while you walk your five minutes, then jog 1/2 a mile. Do that a few times a week, then slowly move up. Within a couple months you'll be back at your old distance, and you won't be crying OR aching. And if I were there with you, I'd walk/run with you :)

I love you, funny girl! And I'm sorry I missed your call--we were having the worst day of our year yesterday, and I just couldn't answer the phone! I'll call you Monday :)


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved