Monday, August 13, 2007

Mr. Big Stuff.

Well, I made it through Sunday. Joshua went to the Sunday School Pancake breakfast. He looked a little frightened at first. When I left him, he was sitting on Mrs. Becky's lap. I am so thankful for his sweet teachers. When I went to pick him up, he was all smiles holding up a frame that he had made and a sports water bottle that he had been given by his teachers.

So, we went to church. He sat very quietly, attentively. He even attempted to sing the hymns with us. He'd catch on to the choruses and sing away each time the chorus came around. And, when it was time for the 4-6 year olds to exit, he did his thing. I just wish that I could have videoed him. Our good friend Sean (Joshua calls him "Brother") was sitting by the aisle, so he softly pushed Joshua out into the aisle. As if all eyes in the church were on Joshua, he walked with his hands held tightly behind his back, his head down, and a sweet bashful grin on his face! It was quite possibly the cutest thing that I have ever seen!

He left children's church with a bookmark and a new attitude. He was the big man in the van on the way home.

To say that he was manic all afternoon Sunday would be an understatement.

He chattered on and on all day. It didn't help that Daddy invited Joshua to go with him to do a physical on a college football player while JCT took a nap. So, not only did the big boy not have to take a nap, he got to go hang out with Daddy and a football player. Oh, yes, he was Big Stuff. He came home from the physical even more pepped up!

Then, he ate 2 Krispy Kreme donuts for a snack.

He was too high for our ceilings, so I had to take him outside and attempt to keep him from floating up to the sky. He was wild. Climbing and throwing himself around. . . Occasionally telling JCT that when he got bigger he could go to big kid Sunday School and Big church.

At one point yesterday, Joshua got in trouble for attempting to throw a paper airplane into the flame of my gas stove. Erik sent him to time-out. What did he do?

He stood in time-out dancing.

The child could not hold still for anything. Anything. Erik called him over to talk to him about why he was sent to time out. The conversation went something like this. . .

Erik: Do you know why I sent you to time out?
Joshua: Because I threw the airplane after you told me not to.
Erik: Do you know what that is?? That is direct. . . .
Erik left the sentence open so that Joshua could fill it in. We talk a lot about direct disobedience at our house, so Joshua knew exactly what he was supposed to say. But, he chose an alternate route and answered this way. . .

"Direct. . . TV."

And, the mania continued until. . .

We went to church that evening. All was well and mania intact when we arrived. Joshua even gave JCT a little shove on his back when we got to the nursery door. As if to say, "Go on, little baby. I'll see you after BIG church is over."

But, somewhere between the special music and the beginning of the sermon, Joshua decided that maybe growing up isn't all it is cracked up to be.

He sat there sweetly, quietly. I gave him armies, tickled his back, and played with his hair. He drew our family and a few letters. He looked page after page through the hymnal. Bless his heart. He did great, but it is a long time for a little guy to sit still. And, he wasn't quite as manic on the way home.

And, so an important lesson was learned by my little man yesterday. Growing up can be new and exciting, but it can also mean doing things that might not be so fun. Like learning to sit still and being quiet for an hour at a time.

3 comments:

Deidre said...

The Krispy Kreme doughnuts could've had something to do with the high energy :) My E. has had them for breakfast everyday this week to have energy for gymnastics camp. They do the trick. Hey, I need some.

You're right, growing up is fun for a season and then there's lots of responsibility. I told E. that kindergarten was coming in a few weeks and then she would be such a big girl. She rolled her eyes and said, "yes, but that's no fun 'cause I'll have to make my own bed and dress myself EVERY DAY!" Yes, that's tough. :)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

It sounds like your little guy is going through some growth stuff, just like me. It's hard to want to be a "big" kid and take the responsibilities that come with it. =) I'm glad it was such a successful Sunday for you all.

Jennifer said...

Too precious for words.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved