Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Three


The Three.

My three.

Everywhere we go I hear, "Boy, you have your hand's full," and, sometimes, "Three boys, bless your heart."

Oh, yes, my heart is blessed, blessed indeed.

They are busy, curious, and rambunctious. I often do my best to temper all of that, but I always fail. You can't keep a little boy contained. You simply can't. There is life welling up inside of them that cannot be contained. They are little overflowing cups of joy and boundless energy. And, I love them for it!

Last night, as I lay in bed completely exhausted, I tried to remember what it was that I did all day. Why was I so incredibly tired? I couldn't remember anything monumental that I had done during the day. All I could remember was changing laundry, folding laundry, fixing snacks and meals, nursing, changing diapers, taking JCT to the potty, pushing little ones on the swings, sitting in a lawn chair watching two little boys play some form of a football-like game, breaking up a few squabbles, taking the dog out, and attempting to muster up the energy to happily welcome Erik home at the end of the day - instead of collapsing and letting him take over - which is what I'd like to do - but that wouldn't be fair or right, and I know it. But, I did nothing extraordinary, and honestly other than a few baskets of folded laundry and a mediocre meal, I have nothing to show for all of my efforts.



But, I am amazingly satisfied.

Content.



And, three smiling, laughing, clean, lavender smelling boys are all the reward I need. Well, almost. . . The stalling at bedtime, the one more book, the one more hug, JCT's kisses through the crib rails, Joshua's "scratch my tummy a little longer," and Elijah's head nestled under my chin. . . that is my reward, and it is sweet. Little do they know that I am soaking up their smells and love like a sponge soaks up water. And, once again, I am thankful for another day with my three, my precious three.

10 comments:

Jackson said...

Hey Erin.. I love seeing our lives so parallel with our boys.Everyone of my friends with teenagers keeps telling me, "Soak this time up now... it just changes when they get older." So, let's keep soaking up those exhausting, fun, unmonumental, rambunctious days.. because they fly by!!! love.. Ali

Lori said...

here, here....I stand in total agreement =))

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh sigh! That was beautifully written! You obviously love and enjoy your baby boys so much. They are so lucky to have you as their mom. Its hard work, no doubt, but the rewards are more than worth it!

Elijah is looking more like his brothers every day! =)

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

Precious, Precious, Precious Post! (One "precious" for each of them:) Beautifully written and so very true.

Deidre said...

I feel the same way. I keep looking for one monumental thing I did that is making me so tired at the end of the day. It's all of it, but so worth it. I've said it many times, but I'll say it again - those precious boys are so fortunate to have you for their mother. A mother that is tired, yet so glad to do all that you do. You are a gift to them :)

Sarah said...

Thanks for capturing an "ordinary" day so extraordinarily! Sometimes we feel like nothing has been accomplished, but thanks for the reminder that everything in the world is being accomplished when we are loving and leading our children. Ahh..., thanks!
Sarah

Ami said...

I hear you! I have three little boys, and all I hear from strangers is "You have your hands full". Yes, I sure do, but you, Mr Stranger, are sure missing out on a lot of joy.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Sooo sweet. Boys are rambunctious aren't they:) Today at my older two's bus stop there were four little boys all running around while my daughters and one other little girls just stood around and talked and talked and talked. It was funny to see how very different they are.

God's blessing on your sweet family!

Sarah said...

I hear that all the time, too! What is it about three? Somedays I think, "Yes, my hands are full of blessings." Other days, it's "My hands are COMPLETELY full. Please feel sorry for me." :)

I love that picture of your three--such sweet little boys! I know I've been scarce, and I need to call you, but I'm still thinking of you all the time, loving you! Once we get school started and on a schedule, I'll be back :)

Anonymous said...

What sweet boys! I have two little boys and love every minute of it, too. They grow way too fast. I wish I could just hit the pause button and enjoy them little forever!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved