Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Autumn

I walked outside a few minutes ago to throw something in the trash. I opened the door and a soft cool breeze hit me in the face. And, the fragrance of fresh cut grass overwhelmed me. A beautiful green yard, freshly mown and a cool breeze. . .

It is the beginning of autumn and that does something to me deep in my soul.

Seriously.

There is something miraculous to me about the change of seasons. God does it every year - 4 times a year, but it never loses its magic for me. And, I love that.

A few weeks ago the temperature was over 100 degrees, and now it must be in the low eighties or high seventies. This morning was cool and crisp with dew covering every blade of grass. As I kissed my husband goodbye, I marveled at the miracle of God's seasons.

In a few weeks the leaves will turn beautiful colors, and the grass will begin to yellow. And, I will light my Yankee Harvest candle and make a big pot of White Bean Chicken Chili. And, Erik will come home from the high school football games with frozen feet, and he will put his cold hands on the back of my warm neck. And, I will watch as little red-headed boys cover eachother in leaves, tossing them up in the air with great joy. And, I will move the boy's carseat straps to fit them with their jackets on, and I will begin faithfully feeding the birds, deer, and turkey that enjoy passing through our backyard for a mid-morning snack. I will bundle the boys up to play in the morning, and they will step out into a yard of frozen grass. Coats, hats, scarves, and mittens will litter my mudroom, kitchen, and den. Little rain boots will sit beside the door.

And, though it may be chilly outside, my soul will be full of warmth. And, I will sit and sip coffee and thank my sweet Jesus for autumn and all of the blessings that come along with it.

11 comments:

Anita said...

Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love it, love it, love it!
Thanks for sharing!

Sam said...

White Bean Chicken Chili sounds delicious! Would you be willing to share your recipe? :-)

Jenny said...

Beautifully written! I have been loving the fall weather too!! Our overnight lows have been in the low 60s, upper 50s and we've been sleeping with the windows open. Ahhhh... and we're beginning to see some changing colors in the trees. I really love fall!

PartyofFive said...

Oh yes, I agree. Fall is my most favorite time of year.

Deidre said...

Erin, it's a known fact around here that I am much happier in the Fall. I haven't felt that cool air yet or noticed how the shadows change to tell me it's here. I'm expecting it any day and I can't wait. It's strange really how giddy it makes me. Your post made me that much more excited about it.

picturesofhisgrace said...

Erin,
I feel the same way today. Went to Berry College this morning with a friend for a bike ride. It was so beautiful! The deer were out and the breeze was so cool. I always feel God's presence when I am out in His nature. I soaked it up! Autumn is a favorite! Thanks for sharing your heart. Love you, karen

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that you live somewhere that I'd give my first born -- no make that my dog -- to live. Fall is in the air already here but that means 58 degrees for a high tomorrow and I don't even want to discuss the lows. I definitely I like your fall better.

Molly

Girl Raised in the South said...

Beautifully put, a blessing to read. xoxoxo

Christi said...

What a lovely post. Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year - and you capture perfectly why I love it (and all of the traditions it comes with) so.

I'm in the Southeast, too and we're just starting to see that change in the light.

Kim said...

I love this time of year,too...for many of the same reasons you shared. Every change is a gift from God....isn't it all so good??!

Blessings,
Kim

Sarah said...

Erin, this is why we were such good friends in college--I could've written this post. Substituting the "Erik" the "three boys" and the "deer," for "Chris," "two boys and a girl," and the--well, I don't know what could replace the deer. But you know what I mean:) Autumn where you live sounds majestic!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved