Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Your comments, a few reflections, and my new theme song

It is a cold rainy day outside, but inside my home is filled with sunshine and laughter - at the moment, anyway. All is well and I have a cup of hot coffee sitting beside me beckoning me to stop mid-sentence and sip of it's rich flavor! (Coffee tastes good to me today. Go figure?) One big hot gulp later, I am smiling here as I listen to Fernando Ortega sing soft, soothing songs to me.

I was just sitting back reflecting on all the sweet and encouraging comments that you all left on my blog yesterday. I appreciate every single one of them. Especially the ones coming from mothers of 4 or more children close together. And, I received a sweet comment from ck that said basically (my paraphrase), "I was one of 4 children all close together in age. I don't know how it was for my mom, but we, kids, had a great time growing up together." I LOVE to hear that! It makes my heart sing!



This morning Joshua left early for school. (Erik takes him.) JCT and I were enjoying a quiet morning together while Elijah slept in. I actually found myself thinking, "Wow, this is so nice and quiet, just me and JCT." But, it wasn't long before I heard some sweet baby chatter on the monitor, and I sighed a, it was nice while it lasted, kind of sigh. Upon entering the room, Elijah's eyes met mine and his face was aglow with a radiant happiness. The kind of happiness that is contagious to all who witness it, and I was instantly ashamed of my previous thoughts. I picked him up, and he nearly jumped out of my arms in excitement. He could hear his big brother playing in the next room, and he simply longed with all that was in him to see his big brother. He pulled outward until I turned him around so he could face out. Then, with his head and the kicking of his legs, he led me to the family room where JCT was making all sorts of loud dinosaur noises. And, when Elijah's eyes finally found JCT, he kicked and squealed and went crazy with excitement. I attempted to nurse Elijah, but between JCT grabbing his head and singing "Jesus luvs Elijah, this I know fo da Bible tells me so. . ." and Elijah's lack of interest in eating, I gave up and put them together in the superyard on the family room floor - where they laughed and played together for quite some time. It it times like these when ck's comment comes back to me, "I don't know how it was for my mom. But, we, kids, had a great time growing up together." I pray that their growing up years will be filled with laughter, fun, and wonderful memories. Memories of 2 on 2 basketball games in the driveway, football games in the front yard, volleyball games in the pool, kickball, make-believe track races, sleeping in tents in the backyard with Daddy (notice I opted out on that one), movie nights for the whole family, cook-outs, and cookie baking with Mama. And, if that is the case, if they do have a memory full of richness and love, then, it will be worth any stress or strain that 4 children 5 and under will be on me. I'm embracing it!



Yesterday, as I drove home from Super-Wal-mart, all three children snug in their carseats. Well, to be honest one was screaming, and my nerves were shot. It was a wild trip to the place my non-cursing, godly, deacon of a husband, refers to as "hell." And, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think about that several times as I made my way around that over-crowded, unfriendly customer-filled, germ-ridden place. If you are ever feeling like you have it all together and you are a wonderful mom, take your kids to Wal-Mart in the middle of the afternoon. It is sure to humble you. . . quickly.

I digress. . . As I drove home, the boys asked to watch the new Veggie tales - Pirates Who Don't Do Anything Sing-a-long DVD. And, midway through the DVD I heard a song that really appealed to me where I am right now. It is by Mandisa, and it is called, "I can do the right thing." The reason it appeals to me is because I really struggle with believing that I can do it. "It" being - me truly being the mother God called me to be. Somedays it just seems like too much. When my nerves are shot by 10:00 a.m., I know the day is going to be long, and I simply cannot do it on my own strength. So, often I hear these words in my head, "I can't do this. I just cannot do this." I want to be someone my boys look up to, but somedays it is really easy to get frustrated and lose my temper. One day I will write a post about how much my boys have changed me. I am truly a different person because of the refining God has done on my soul through these precious little fellows. Just one more reason for me to love them to pieces! Back to the song by Mandisa, I am going to post the words because they really spoke to me. Not that I see myself as a hero, but that is what the pirate movie is about - stepping up and being the hero God called you to be.
"I can do the right thing"
I've got all my excuses.
I've got my list of fears.
I've counted all the reasons why You called the wrong hero to be here.
Doing the right thing is just too hard.
But, I've believed those lies for long enough.
I'm not going to listen anymore because I remember You said
when all hope is gone, help will come. . .
And, give me strength to go farther, to climb higher,
courage that burns inside like a fire.
No turning back, this is the day I do the right thing.
I will do what I need to and when I need You
I know Your love will come to the rescue.
I can do the right thing.
So what if I'm not the strongest.
A little weaker than I'd like to be.
Well, even I can do what's right because I know
the King is calling me to live a life worth looking up to.
Holding on to what matters most.
Nobody said it was going to be easy.
But, I know I'll never be alone,
Cause when all hope is gone help will come, come from above. . .
And, give me the strength to go farther, to climb higher,
courage that burns inside like a fire.
No turning back, this is the day.
I will do what I need to and when I need You
I know Your love will come to the rescue.
Love that! And, I am claiming this as my current theme song because we all need theme songs every now and then. So, whatever you are facing, may God give you the courage and the strength you need to be the "hero" in the story that is your life.
Oh, and one last note, this is for "manda." I tried to connect with you after I read your comment, but blogger would not let me access your profile. Your comment really touched me, and I wanted to be able to touch base with you. If you ever come back to my site, let me know how I can connect with you. Know that I have been praying for you. I have such a heart for new moms and such a love for all things pregnancy related!! You are truly in for a treat, sweet girl, a big wonderful blessing of a treat straight from the hands of a loving God.

7 comments:

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

What a precious post! I'm catching up on some blog reading and just got a chance to tell you CONGRATS. If anyone can do 4 under 5 with grace joy, and a thankful heart, it is you. I'll be praying for you in this journey. I know God has wonderful plans for your family and I'm so excited to hear all about it.

Deidre said...

OH, I love those words. I have to check out this song. I need a new theme song :)

I must say, when I was reading the first 2 paragraphs about the 'bliss', I thought, "Oh, Erin, brace yourself". But, then I kept reading and realized God gave you that time as a blessing for enduring the day before :)

You are going to do great with 4 ... absolutely wonderful and with much grace. You are an amazing Mom!

Jackson said...

Reading the words to that song made me think of something Jackson said a while back.. "Mom, it's much easier living for Satan. It's hard living for God." Shew... that was loaded! To my reply.."The best things in life are worth fighting for, baby!" May we fight daily past our own selfish desires and expectations and call on our Savior for the strength and correct perspective to be victorious! 4 babies really made our family feel like a team... a team sticking together, growing together, losing together, and shining bright together!!

Manda said...

Hi, Erin. Thanks for your note! I sent an e-mail to the address listed on your profile.

Christa Hagler said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog this morning and I just wanted to tell you how much the Lord blessed me with your words. I am the mother of of 3 kids 5 and under, so I understand how crazy life can get. I was especially encourage by the posts titled homemaker and moments. So much so that links for them went into my blog entry for today, I just wanted my friends to read them. Congratulations on #4! Children are a gift and you are being greatly blessed

Anonymous said...

** warning, this is a long comment... sorry **

Hey you,
EVERY word I said was true. I am still so close with my 3 brothers... they are my biggest allies. Growing up I often heard from other people - "You have three brothers? Wow, I'm so sorry" - you know, like they would beat me up or something. But I never understood their comment because in my little mind I thought "Why are you sorry? They're great and they love me".... so simple, but it was true. My mom did not allow us to hurt each other.... she always reminded us how we love our siblings and we never hurt people we love. Of course we had typical sibling spats (it wasn't all perfect), but for the most part, we were all incredibly protective of each other. There was NEVER physical fighting between us (like I would hear about from friends of mine).... I would think "Y'all hurt each other?" I couldn't imagine that.

Some of my favorite memories (and some of these are stories from my mom)...

my little brother called me "my guhl" (he couldn't say his Rs).... "Mama, where's my guhl?" He would walk around the house yelling "Guhl!" until he found me.

All four of us picking up pecans in the backyard in the winter, bundled up in our coats

Playing basketball together in the driveway

Putting our four little handprints in the cement at the bottom of the basketball goal... they're still there!

Group hugs (we loved these!)

Climbing in bed with each other when we were scared at night

Sleeping on the floor in my older brothers' room every Christmas Eve... all of us in our sleeping bags on the floor

Opening Christmas presents in order from youngest to oldest so we could see what everyone got... even as little kids, we appreciated this and LOVED getting excited over everybody's presents. It took longer, but was completely worth it and I'll definitely do it with my own children.

Family movie nights, either Friday or Saturday night every weekend. We would lounge all over the family room and eat popcorn and drink hot chocolate. (Since we were all within 5 yrs of each other, movies were easier to agree on)

Just playing together

Telling our stories around the dinner table every night... laughing and listening to each other. This was a regular.

ALWAYS going to each other's programs, sporting events, award ceremonies when possible... this was another priority of our parents. "We always support our siblings and cheer them on"

Of course things were not all rosy, but I have MANY wonderful memories of our fun together... we were siblings AND pals. I have no doubt you are creating that climate of love in your own children's relationships... trust me, it will be a blessing for you to watch as they grow. And they will have a blast.

Thinking of you often and always reading.
Love, calissa

rhonda said...

erin. i have been reading your blog off and on for about a year now. you are such an inspiration and when we found out we were expecting our first child last november, i knew where i would go to find encouragement. you are such admired by me as to how you are raising your kids as Christians and being a wonderful wife. i now have an 11 week old daughter that i LOVE so much and am really wanting to become more of what God wants me to be - not what i want me to be and therefore lead our daughter to what God wants her to be. i always look forward to reading and i ask that you keep me in your prayers so that i may be able to be a better wife and mother and better person to myself....there is so much more i want to write but i'll leave that for another comment on another day....
crarichard AT hotmail DOT com


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved