Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A Piratey Treasure Hunt

I mentioned it the night before, and he didn't seem to pay much attention. I thought it to be a grand plan, but he didn't seem very interested. That is until morning. . . It was the first thing he said to me when our eyes met at 6:30 a.m. this morning. "Mommy, when are you going to draw us a map and send us on a treasure hunt! We're pirates! Arrrrghhhhh!!! I'm the captain, and James Siffer is the 'looker outer'!!!!"

Then JCT repeated happily, "I'm the 'looker outer'!!! Arrrrghhhhh!"

"Yeah! Arrrghhhh!" Joshua said again and putting his left foot up on Elijah's walker and squinting one eye, he asked me in his best big mean pirate voice, "Do I look scary, Mommy?"

"Terrifyingly scary!!!" I assured him.

Daddy went for a jog, and I drew my first map! Then, I hid the treasure chest with a few little fun treasures in it. All the while my little piratey friends waited in the utility room until I told them that they could come out and seek their treasure!!! They followed the map and ultimately, after a bit of help, found the long lost treasure chest. They were satisfied and happy!

But, I, I had just gotten started!! My mind was spinning with possibilities!!! So, I invited them to partake in an outdoor treasure hunt after naptime today!!! They were thrilled! Joshua asked if I could really bury it in the ground and let them dig with real shovels!! Now, I'm into it and all, but not enough to dig a large hole in my backyard! Umm. No. I love you, but no.

So, when JCT arose from naptime I had everything ready! The map was rolled up and tied with twine, and the treasure was securely hidden.

What better way to begin a treasure hunt than with a big burly loud ARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!




Next we read the map!! Notice JCT's scary piratey frog boots!!




Now we're ready to go find that treasure!! I can just hear the Backyardigans singing, "Treasure! Treasure! Where's that Treasure???"

Wait! There's the spikey bush, but they don't see the treasure chest!! Look harder little matees!! Your Mama is a clever lady, and she hid the treasure chest under a heap of fallen leaves!!!!




She did this just so that her piratey precious ones could dig with a shovel to uncover buried treasure like they wanted!!!


And, here they are back on the pirate ship sharing the loot!!!

Arrrrgghhhh!! What alot of fun we had!!! And, I do mean we!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds so fun! Seriously it does!

Tyna said...

That is so precious! We had a pirate birthday for Hannah when she turned 3. Daddy made a wooden box and buried it in the garden box. I took pics of 'clues' around the yard and put them in numbered envelopes. A grownup friend played Captian Pirate and a great time was had by all...

Kelly said...

What a fun treat- my girls would love that! (Even at 9 and 10- a treasure hunt is always fun!)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I always smile when I see parents enjoying their children.

And right now, my smile reaches all the way across my face.

Christi said...

What a fun idea!! Definitely something I'll have to do for my boys soon.

Tiffany said...

This is sooo cute! My kidos are still too young for this, but it reminds me of my teaching (preschool) days fondly!

Deidre said...

I know that had to be a lot of fun for YOU, Erin. Great idea. Much like our indoor scavenger hunts (I don't have little pirates).

Jackson said...

Where did you fing the traesure box??

Anonymous said...

this is such a GREAT idea. my 5-year-old would love it, and his litlte brother could come along too!! How brilliant for boys, especially!! thanks for the idea. by the way, do you have any good treasure ideas for the box??


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved