Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sons are a heritage from the Lord,
children a reward from Him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 129:3-5

Going through this experience with my husband has strengthened my love for him. And, I didn't think it was possible that I could love him more. . . But, God continues to make my love for him abound more and more, deeper and deeper, the more we experience life together.

Watching Erik and Jason care for their parents has been very moving for me. These two very driven, very hardworking, family loving Dads left their homes, wives, children, jobs, patients, and congregation to be at their parents' bedside. And, they have not left them. And, their plan is for one of them to be with them in New Orleans at all times.

They are taking good care of their parents, and it is a blessing to watch.

If I could whisper something in Erik's mother's ear right now it would be "You have raised wonderful sons, and they love you so much. Do you hear them singing to you and over you? Do you hear their sweet prayers? These are precious men you have raised. Thank you. Thank you so much. I am so blessed because of your faithfulness to God and so are my children. I love you."

Joshua was missing Erik again today, and before he let the tears flow once again, Nana stopped him and said, "You know how much you love your Daddy? Well, your Daddy loves his Daddy just like that. And, his Daddy is hurt, and he wants to be close to him while he is hurt. And, he wants to take care of his Daddy. That is why he has to be away from you right now. One day your Daddy may be hurt, and you will want to go and take care of your Daddy, don't you think?" And, Joshua agreed that he would want to take care of his Daddy. And, JCT chimed in, "Yes, and I would take care of my Daddy even if he threw up on me 5 times. I would take care of him." JCT's part I had to throw in because it made me smile. But, I love what she said to Joshua, and I think it help put things in perspective for him.

When I saw the picture above that Jason took of Erik and his Dad. I knew immediately that I wanted to put it in a post with Psalm 129:3-5 by it. When I pulled my Bible out to copy the verse word for word, I saw something that I had long since forgotten. When I was in college and dating my sweet Erik, I wrote "Mr. Jimmy" (Erik's Dad's name) by these verses in my Bible. I've probably read this verse 500 times in the last 10 years, but I have looked right past it. But, tonight it caught my attention. How true it is! How blessed are they to have such sweet Godly sons!


Erik and Jason have worked it out so that their Dad can visit their mom for the first time since the accident tomorrow morning. Be praying about that. It will be beautiful, bittersweet, but beautiful.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that your sweet Mommy (I always remember that you call her that!) still loves you so tenderly that she's there, helping you and loving on you during these hard weeks! What a testimony to your boys--that family's love is a big circle that never ends, always taking care of each other, whoever needs it most right then. Your family has always been such a blessing for me to witness. I love you, sweet friend! If you were closer, I'd have you come rock on my porch with me today, while we drink Bifferdoodle and talk, watching our multitude of boys run around and chase goats, chickens, and the like. Hug yourself for me today, since we can't!

I'm still praying for your family--especially for tomorrow's big day!

Paula said...

I am praying today went well for the family!!

Bree said...

our prayers are with you...God bless~

Kathy said...

Absolute tears.

In prayer for you and your family.

May the strength of the Lord sustain you all


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved