Saturday, April 12, 2008

Big footsteps


The weather here is delicious - cool, breezy, and beautiful. Joshua and Daddy spent this morning like they do every Saturday morning - working outside in the yard. Erik loves yard work. He says it is "mindless." And, after using his brain extensively all week long, he loves to relax and work outdoors without a care in the world. Joshua shares his love for working hard and getting sweaty! This morning I came out to ask if anyone was ready for lunch, and I overheard Erik talking to Joshua. Joshua was pushing the wheelbarrow back from their trash pile to the shrubs they were so feverishly trimming. Erik was telling Joshua to steer the wheelbarrow straight because "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line."
All I could think after I heard Erik say this was how wonderful these times are for Joshua - working side by side with his Daddy, learning, growing, and being challenged. The father/son relationship is a beautiful thing, and I love watching my sons desire more and more, year after year, to be like their Daddy, to follow in his footsteps. I can pour my life into these boys, and that is an absolutely vital part of their upbringing. But, there are certain gaps that only Daddy can fill. And, I love watching these gaps be filled to overflowing by an attentive and loving Father. Erik works hard, and often he has to work long hours. But, one thing is certain - when he is home, he is 100% home. We don't get the leftovers - he saves the best for us!
As I write this, my little boys are napping, and my big boys (Erik and Joshua) are at a baseball game. Joshua starts t-ball in a few weeks, so Erik wanted to take him to a baseball game for a little pre-practice prep! I smile to myself, often, and think it is no wonder that God keeps filling our home with boys - Erik is such a good boy Daddy. My sons are blessed and so am I. I love you, Babydoll!

3 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

That is a very sweet post. Time with fathers is so very important to our children and vital for them to grow up healthy. I've added your blog to my blogroll. I enjoy visiting you.

Deidre said...

"...when he is home, he is 100% home"... such a blessing, Erin. Your boys and very blessed.

Tiffany said...

This is such a heart warming post. It is so wonderful and encouraging to see a wife who holds her husband in such high reguard, and treasures her children so. Posts like this remind me that there are alot of us out there, and I praise God for everyone of them. God Bless Christian marriage and the light it shines in this dark world. I know you wrote this about your husband teaching your son, but what a beautiful lesson you are teaching him about how to honor his father, when he sees how much you admire him. Blessings!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved