Thursday, August 21, 2008

Parenting is Not for the Weak, or is it?

You have to be a tough cookie to be a parent. And, I for one am not a tough cookie.

I am not strong.

I am not hard.

I am soft.

I am weak.

A weak vessel.

I always have been, and I always will be. My husband says that I am stronger than I think I am, but I'm not so sure. It doesn't take much to break this little girl. . .

especially when she is 39 weeks pregnant and just sent her precious oldest son off to kindergarten.

And, so when the speech therapist called to talk to me about a few things she had noticed about Joshua's speech, I fell apart. Evidently there are 3 letters that he doesn't say just right, and she feels that he would benefit from some therapy.

What? Excuse me, did I hear her right? Did she say that my Joshua isn't perfect?

News-flash for Mommy.

Because, in my eyes those cute little l's that he says like w's are perfect. Perfectly cute, and I love the way he talks, and I never really noticed them before she pointed them out to me. And, how come some stranger noticed something about my son that I didn't notice?

And, I miss him. And, I am overwhelmed as it is. I thought that I was doing good just sending him off to school - this alone has been hard enough. Now, they are telling me that he needs speech therapy. And, I am pregnant and everything seems like a much bigger deal than it really is right now.

So, I went to her office and met with her Tuesday morning after I dropped my little boy off. For the first time Tuesday morning, he told me he didn't want to go to school. And, after I dropped him off, I drove around for a minute to collect myself because I know how weak I am - especially when my little boy is sad. And, I felt fragile, ready to fall apart at any second. But, I pulled myself together as best I could, and I entered the school to meet with the speech therapist. I think I was in her office 5 minutes before I fell apart. So, I sat there across the desk from this sweet lady with a box of kleenex in front of me crying as she described this process to me. She kept apologizing and saying, "I'm sorry. I am upsetting you, aren't I?" I kept assuring her that my tears had little to do with Joshua's speech problems and more to do with the fact that Joshua had been sad to leave this morning and that I have a gang of unruly hormones reigning my emotions. Weak. So, very weak. It was quite possibly one of my most embarrassing moments - except it lasted like 30 minutes. Classic Erin.

I planned on stopping by the Principal's office to discuss my desire to begin a Mom's in Touch Group for our Elementary school after I left the speech therapist's office. But, needless to say, I didn't have the strength, confidence, or emotional stability to do anything but run to my car with my head down and sunglasses firmly in place. As I drove off, I called Erik to tell him my sad little story.

In the time it took me to tell him about the meeting, Joshua's sweet teacher called my cell phone, Erik's cell phone, and our home phone. Not reaching us at any of the three numbers, she called my cell again and caught me as I was pulling the van into our driveway. The therapist told her about my little falling apart episode in her office, and she was calling to check on me, to assure me that Joshua was fine, and that he would in no way be singled out from the rest of the class for therapy. A day doesn't go by that I don't thank God for her. No doubt God hand-picked her for my little man. . . and for me, too.

After I got home, Deana B. called to see if I wanted to meet her at the Mexican restaurant for lunch. Ummm. Yes. (Since both her mother and my mother are in town awaiting the birth of Erik Daniel, we have automatic babysitters!) As I entered the Mexican restaurant, I prayed, "Please God, I am so tired of crying. Help me get through lunch without crying again." I sat down, and I could tell that Deana could tell that I had been crying. But, being the friend that she is, she never inquired about it. She just told me about her morning and gave me time to gather my emotions, my thoughts, and my heart before I shared it with her.

Deana B. is, in my opinion, strong. And, just being around her makes my little weak heart feel strong. Somehow she just exudes strength, and I left lunch feeling once again like I could, in fact, handle sending my son off to kindergarten. I could, in fact, handle the fact that he needs speech therapy. I could, in fact, handle the surging emotions and hormones that at times feel outside my control.

Between Deana B. and my mom, I was feeling back on track - sort of, anyway. Later that afternoon, I held my head high, shoulders straight, sunglasses on top of my head, eyes clear, and I entered Joshua's school. First, I asked to speak to the principal. She was excited about my desire to begin a Mom's in Touch Group, saying that they could always use prayer! Then, I asked to speak to the speech therapist again. I looked her straight in the eyes, apologized for falling apart earlier that day, told her I was 100% on board, and asked her to let me know what I could be doing at home to help my little man.

And, as I drove home with my little darling one chattering on in the back of the van, I thought about how difficult it is to be a parent. How difficult it is to love someone so much. How dangerous and unsafe it is to feel so much. And, here I am about to bring another little one into this world. Another little one that I will love beyond my wildest imagination, another little one that will break my heart over and over again each time I see his little heart break.

No, parenting is not for the weak. Earlier that day I doubted the fact that I should ever have become a mother. I am too weak. I can't handle it. But, I was reminded as my sweet Joshua chattered on and on in the backseat about Batman and Wobin, that God didn't expect me to be strong. He doesn't have expectations that my weak little self can't meet. He doesn't mind my weakness. He simply wants to be my strength. And, I need Him, breath by breath, tear by tear, I need Him.

No, parenting is not for the weak. It takes great strength to be a parent. And, I'm not talking about the kind of strength that one can muster up on his or her own. Parenting calls for supernatural strength. The kind of strength that is only available in a daily, walking, committed relationship with the one and only Strength-Giver. I thank God for the verse that says when I am weak, then I am strong because it speaks volumes to this weak vessel. I don't claim to have strength, but I do claim to belong to the Strength-Giver, to find my refuge in Him, my safe strong hiding place.

So, maybe, then parenting is for the weak.

At least, maybe it is for the weak made strong.

18 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you for this post - beautifully written and so very true. You must be so overwhelmed with everything going on right now and I bet Eric is right and you are stronger than you think. Moms just FEEL so much - I tend to cry no matter what emotion I'm feeling. It's all just so close to the surface some days.

On another note, my son also doesn't say his "l" right and uses the "w" sound (which I agree is perfectly cute). Our speech therapist said that the "l" sound is not expected to be mastered until 6-7 years old. So, don't worry - he's still perfect!

Jenny said...

Erin, this is such a beautiful post. And, a timely reminder too.

Every time you write about Deana B. I just think that the two of you are sooo blessed to have that kind of friend. It's a rare treasure.

You are such a wonderful mom. I'm looking forward to hearing about the little one's arrival!

Mary Jo said...

Praying for you right now. You're in my thoughts.

Sarah said...

Beautiful writing, sweet friend. I'm praying for you! (Sidenote: Caiden says "v" for the "th" sound still. I imagine that most kids have some quirky pronunciations at this age. And Chris went to speech therapy in kindergarten--SUPER normal!!)

I love you to pieces and can't wait for your newest little one to arrive!!

dawn said...

Great lessons to learn.

My "baby" started fifth grade today and it was the first time in all these school years that his dad and I did not walk him in. I cried as I left the school, knowing it was for the best to let him be independent.

The good news is...it does get easier as the years go by and the other boys start school. God gives us the strength to make it as moms everyday.

Lori said...

What a beautiful post! You are a terrific mother. Praying for you as you await your little one's arrival.

Blessings to you!

Kim said...

Precious words. I share your exact same sentiment! My five-year old seldom uses the "k" sound when he should (tat instead of cat) and I am trying not to worry!

Oh those pregnancy emotions do make it hard to keep the tears at bay ;)

What a blessing to have such sweet family and friends who lift you up!

Being sentimental (me) is a sweet blessing because I never look back and wish I had "felt" something more, but sometimes it can be overwhelming when too many sentimental occasions happen at one time.

Overload!

Blessings Erin while you wait out these final days. Such sweet times.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

From one pregnant, hormonal woman to another (you made me cry!); from one mom of a "child in speech therapy" to another; your post was beauitfully written and said everything that I've said in the past.

It IS hard to be told that your child may not be as perfect as you think they are; it IS hard to realize they'll need help; and gosh darn it, it is EXCRUCIATING watching your child's heart be broken.

I can't do this parenting-thing, its hard and I, too, am in awe that I'm bringing another into the world who will consume me as completely as the others. But its so great knowing that I can crash at His feet and knowing that He'll give me the strength I need.

And the rewards are SO worth it, aren't they?!

Jill said...

I started a mom's bible study group at our public school about 5 years ago. We never joined the mom's in touch program because it had too many rules!
Our principal supports our group so much that when a family at the school is in need she contacts us.
We've had three deaths at our school in the past 3 years: two students and one parent. God had so much foresight to get our group together in advance of these tragedies.
I'd love to give you some ideas if you need any.
Feel free to visit my blog or drop me an email.
You should do See You at the Pole at your school it's the thrid thursday in September ( I think).
My kids love it. We are now at the jr high doing the same thing there.

Hope that you don't go over 39 weeks.

Jennifer said...

great post. i am always touched by your posts and how much love you have for all your sweet boys.

looking forward to reading about your new one!! :)

Kari C in SC said...

Fifteen years ago, I dropped my oldest son off at Kindergarten. I was a wreck for a whole week. When he was in 1st grade, they labeled him with a "learning disability". I remember the call from the teacher came in to my part time job phone. I was in tears. My boss and friend came over and asked me what was wrong. I sobbed, "My little boy has a learning disability!" He told me something to the effect of get over it - he will be fine. I was shocked! Well, my son has some twists and turns along the way, but now he is off at Basic Training for the Army. He had to study hard to get the scores he wanted. He had to work hard to lose the weight he needed to lose. I wasn't sure he could do it, but he did. Your sweet boy will be okay. After all, you are his mom and you are amazing!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

That was beautiful as always. Yes, He certainly makes us strong in our weaknesses. It makes me wonder how people parent without Him.

Big Mama said...

This is so beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. We had meet the teacher today and I felt like I was giving all the kids "the eye" to see if any of them were going to dare to be unkind to my baby. Yes, I have issues.

It's hard to love someone so much and yet have to let them go little by little. You're stronger than you think.

Ashley said...

This post is wonderful! I just recently started blogging (thanks to a friend). I became a mommy one year ago. And I completely understand the weakness. My heart just breaks when my Wyatt is upset. Thank you for the words of encouragement. It was a joy to read this!

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

From one "weak vessel" to another, I cried just reading this post. I am so thankful that I have Jesus' strength becuase without it, I am a complete weepy mess. Isn't it unimaginable that He could love us and love our little ones even more than we do? What a gift your little ones have with you as their mom!

jeni said...

Oh Erin, you're in good company with all of us moms! We totally get it! My son had to have speech therapy too when he was Joshua's age. He absolutely loved it. They make it really fun. Instead of feeling bad about having to go, my son was so happy he was getting extra attention and extra treats from the speech therapist. It will be more than fine. You are such an awesome mother. I so understand your emotions. :)

Rachael said...

I'm a speech therapist who is now the mother of two. Having been across the table from many many mothers, I can tell you that your reaction is totally normal. It's hard to be the one to share that kind of information with moms - especially with first-timers in kindergarten. Know that we only have your childs' best interest at heart. Minor speech things like you mentioned are so easy to work on when they're caught early.

Having said all that, I'm now a mommy. And I have a new perspective on this conversation. I try to be as gentle and compassionate as possible. It sounds like you have a great group of people to love your Joshua while he's at school.

Good luck with your finally days of pregnancy!

Christa Hagler said...

You are such an encouragement! I hate that feeling of weakness, but I try to remember that in my weakness the Lord is strong. My oldest starts Kindergarden on Monday and I have appreciated everything you have shared about the process of letting go a little bit. I am also starting a MIT group this fall. I wanted to write and share with you about that because you would be such a great leader, but I never got a chance. I am glad to hear you not only know about it, but are planning to start a group! I am saying a little prayer for you, your family, and the future MIT group.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved