Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Nesting. . .




I spent a little extra time staring at my ripe belly this morning. It kind of makes me chuckle. I've always had a rather small frame, so this huge bump in the middle of my torso makes me smile. Everyone assumes that I am eager to have my baby. I mean, after all, it is nearly 100 degrees outside, and I am 9 months pregnant, for goodness sake! And, in some ways I am ready to have my sweet baby, but in many others ways I am not. I am content to be 36 weeks pregnant today. I like my big round belly, and I love to feel my little precious one move inside me. In a few weeks I will give birth for the fourth and most likely the last time in my life. And, something about that fact is bittersweet to me.


I love giving birth. Well, I don't actually like the part after they break my water and the contractions get really hard to bear. And, the pushing part, I don't really like it a whole lot either. And, then there is that ring of fire at the end - yeah, not my favorite either. I much prefer the part after the head and shoulders have been delivered and the rest of the body slithers out, and Erik holds up our newest little man for me to see. Now that is the part that I like best. And, then he hands him to me all slimy and wet. And, despite the fact the he has a bright red, squished together swollen face and an angry cry that you could hear across the globe, I melt thinking that he is the most beautiful and wonderful thing I have known in all my life. And, all the pain of the last hour or so is completely forgotten and all that I know is that I love this baby with all my heart, and I just want to hold him forever close to my chest. I could do that part a million times over, hence, why I have so many children!


I am saying all of this because as my due date is rapidly approaching I am feeling a little bit sentimental knowing that most likely I will not be doing this again. Unless, of course, Erik begs me to have another child with him. And, then, I may just have to oblige him and say "Yes!" But, I don't think that is going to happen, so I am savoring every moment of this sweet time.


I have gotten most everything ready. All of my 0-3 month baby clothes have been washed and put in drawers. I had the boys' t-shirts printed last week. And, the boys picked out a little stuffed animal especially for their new little brother. Other than charging cameras and packing my bags, I am ready. But, I can wait. . . just as long as he wants to wait. . . I can wait. . .



These are sweet days, any moment could become a long lasting memory. No one knows the day or the hour when God will whisper to my little one, "It is time. . ." And, then he will begin that precious little journey that will lead him out of my belly and into my arms.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Erin,

I just wanted to say that I have been reading your blog for a while. I just had to comment after your post today. What a sweet post! I just wanted to wish you best with this new baby and with kindergarten and everything else as well!

I enjoy your blog so much! I have 2 little girls and I keep 2 children so I can relate to the busy days!

May God Bless you in your journey,
Beth

Leah said...

That is so beautiful. I love the way you describe that feeling of liking them right where they are. I was always the same way. I LOVE being pregnant. My last pregnancy was so bittersweet to me too. I cherished every moment and loved my pregnant body.
I can't believe your little guy goes to kindergarten this week ... mine starts in about 3 weeks. I am already so choked up about it. I will pray for you and your emotions during this transitional time. May you have many, many blessings.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

I can understand...my #4 is 1! I'm holding on to every little baby thing she does that I can:)

Enjoy every moment...I know you will!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved