Friday, August 01, 2008

A Stormy Afternoon

I was completely surprised when the Channel 5 weather team, a.k.a. Deana B., texted me yesterday afternoon to warn me that we were under a severe thunderstorm warning. As I read her text, I looked out the window, and, by golly, it was awfully dark and scary looking out there. So, I called the big boys away from their play upstairs to come downstairs and play with me. In my opinion, this should always be more fun than playing without me, right? But, in their opinion it was not, so I actually ended up bribing them by telling them that they could paint. I know how my boys LOVE to paint!

The stormy afternoon turned out to be so much fun!! Amidst the torrential rain pour, terrible lightning, and house rattling thunder, we all had a blast! The painting began with paint brushes, but quickly became fingerpainting. . .


Which later turned into handpainting. . .


And, these are two of their many stormy afternoon masterpieces. . .


When they finished painting, we put up their favorite rocket tent and the tube attatchment, and they played astronauts until dinnertime.
They begged me to let them eat in the tent, and I obliged them. They made their very own little table and chairs out of a box and their booster seats.


Something about days like these just feels so good to a Mama. It was a simple, sort of ordinary, afternoon, but it was so much fun! These are the kinds of days that I hope they remember when they are older. Days full of artistic expression, imaginary play, and, most importantly, bonding between brothers (and their mama, too).

2 comments:

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, I love days like that too. We recently went on a spontaneous picnic. It was the most fun I'd had with my children in a while.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful day! Reading about it kinda makes me long for a stormy day. You're such a neat mom!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved