Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The Fun Must Go On. . .

I walked into Wal-Mart with a list and a firm desire to stick to my list. But, smack dab in the center of the entrance was a rack with inexpensive holiday movies ~ many of which were for children ~ which I just happened to have 4 of. And, knowing that Daddy was leaving that evening to spend the night in the nearby city where he would be running in a half marathon the next day, I decided that a fun new holiday movie might be a good idea for the evening. After all, the fun must go on ~ even if Daddy isn't home! So, we chose Tom and Jerry's Christmas movie. I continued on with my shopping with the same resolve that I began with ~ one movie wasn't so bad, right? Then, I saw some erasers for the ends of pencils, and we really needed those. Then, I saw fleece footed pajamas in big boy sizes ~ you don't see that everyday. Then, I saw Gogurt and gummies and . . . you get the picture. By the end of the trip, I had tossed my list aside!!! And, as I walked around the meat section to get to the produce, I saw gingerbread houses for 7 dollars. And, for some reason I thought to myself that we could make houses more inexpensively. And, before I knew it, I had devised a plan involving graham crackers (my boys don't like gingerbread much, anyway! :-)), homemade icing, m&m's, and sprinkles! Easy breezy lemon squeezey!!


We had a great evening! I put Eriky D. down a little after 7, and the big boys and I watched our movie and made our houses!!! They had more fun than we have ever had using a "gingerbread kit" ~ mostly because they liked the taste of all the things they were using to decorate with rather than the usual hard candy and licorice. I helped each of them construct their home, and then I set them completely free to decorate as they wanted. It was so fun!!


Here they are decorating. . .

I think Elijah ate as many M&M's as he used on his house! JCT was so perfectionistic about his house! Fun to watch him very methodically place each M&M. He worked so hard. He was so focused and purposeful. So, please don't tell him that I dropped his house (completely accidental, I assure you! :-)) after he went to bed. I was moving the houses from the table to the bar, and his collapsed!! I was so upset! I just stood there and stared at the fallen walls and M&M's and broken graham crackers. . . Rain was quite happy with the whole deal! I reconstructed it as best I could. So, sorry sweet man!Here is Joshua with his finished product. . .It didn't take long for the inevitable question to arise. . .

"Can we eat our houses???" My answer was a resounding yes! And, Joshua and Elijah immediately began to partake of the yumminess, but not, my JCT, no sir, he wanted to show his Daddy all of his hard work! So, of course, his would be the one I dropped!


Lijah eating away. . .



I have looked forward to nights like these my whole life! I always wanted to be a mom above all else ~ except, of course, being a child of God and a Godly wife! :-) And, I always dreamed of being a fun mom and doing fun things with my kids! I am loving that my boys are old enough now for things like this to really be fun! It makes my heart sad to think that one day these sorts of things won't be fun to them anymore! But, then, I guess, I'll just get a little break and rest up and get ready to be a really fun grandma!!!!

The fun must go on. . .

2 comments:

Paige said...

Erin, that looks like so much fun. I think that I am going to head to the store and get some supplies. How fun!

FaceforGrace said...

I know what you mean. I've wanted to be a Mom from the moment I fully grasped the concept that girls had the babies and I was a girl. I just knew it was for me. Since becoming a Mom was such hard work for me, I really appreciate "those moments" and my heart often grieves for those who don't have "those moments". I totally cried watching my little one's hair blow in the breeze as she rode the carousel at the mall once. I can still hear the laughter ringing in my ears and see the little whispy pieces of hair blowing and I remember thinking that I was so blessed to have that moment...so many might never experience. What a blessing Gingerbread houses are! I promise that they will remember these times also!


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved