Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Today

It is 4:00 ~ the littles are still sleeping, and I am sitting at my kitchen table watching my big boys play football between two bushy trees out back. Rain is making sleepy sounds, and Andrew Peterson is singing peacefully soothing my soul. The wind is blowing through the masses of trees that make up the woods surrounding our house. And, I am thankful. I'm thankful for simplicity, for my country home, for life, for my little moment in time that God gave to me.

The day started so beautifully. I made biscuits from scratch and eggs. The boys ate while I sipped coffee and read to them, their eyes wide, of another world, the world of Narnia. Pure peace. It was a beautiful beginning.

But, it slowly unraveled. . . Climaxing with a math lesson lasting much too long, a stubborn mama refusing to give her son the answer, determined he could figure it out on his own. Bless him! I may have, in frustration tossed my pencil across the table. How awful of me, but I didn't say I did it, just that maybe I did. God, help me.

Enter call to sweet Erik where I confess my sins (I confessed them to my son, as well.) and vent for much too long while he listens with long nostrils (great patience) as per his usual.

Life is so funny, and I am such a mess of girl. I am so thankful for grace from my sweet God and from my sweet boys. Both love me so much more than I deserve. What a day! But, you know what? Even in the bad days there is so much good! I know that I am spoiled. We all are. Living here in this great country, knowing an unreal, amazing God intimately, being married, having children. . .

The list goes on and on. And, sometimes, I'm not sure what to do with the knowledge of all that. There are so many who have hard, hard lives, and mine is so easy, so sweet. And, I realize that it may not always be this way. Example: Job. So, all that I know to do today is to thank God for the blessings of this day, to walk in this moment.

My heart is so full. I am thankful for little boys playing beneath trees out back. I am thankful for little boys snug in their cozy little beds upstairs. I am thankful for the sun, the wind, the trees, the crisp, cool air. I am thankful for a day where the worst thing that happened (so far :-) is that I may have given flight to a small piece of wood painted yellow with a #2 on it. I am thankful that life is, at present, sweet and simple. I am thankful that my daily problems aren't really problems at all in the grand scheme of things. And, if tomorrow this is not the case, then I will worry about it tomorrow. He has given me what I need for today. And, today has been a good day, not perfect, but so very good.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Precious thoughts Erin. Hope you don't mind me linking to them.


My photo
Hi! I live in a sweet country home overflowing with love and laughter. I have been blessed to journey these days beside a man that I love, respect, and admire. He is my soul-mate and best friend. Together we are seeking to raise our seven children to be lovers of God, to be wise and discerning, and to be all that our sweet God created them to be.



 

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved